Through Heavy Clouds

It was a starless night. The beacon of the moon could barely penetrate the heavy clouds, as it spread a grey light across the hollow planes. No wind was blowing against leaves and no waves were crashing against rock, which left the air thick with silence. Except for the sound of hooves moving slowly across grass covered hills.

A weary Athëa struggled to keep her eyes open as the rocking of the galloping horse and the melodic sound of its hooves lulled her to sleep.

Legolas felt her give in to slumber as she reclined and rested herself up against his chest. He couldn't help but smile at her comfort in his presence, and the flicker of hope for her to return his love, rekindled a flame in his heart once again. Though he knew this to be foolish, he could not help but entertain himself with the thought.

He looked down upon the sleeping elleth in front of him. The mesmerizing scent of warm sand teased him and almost begged for him to lean in and take in her scent. He rested his face slightly against her hair as he closed his eyes and slowly breathed her in.

"Are you... smelling me, wood elf?" Legolas' head jolted back at the sound of Athëas voice.

"I was merely resting against you, my friend. I believe I too am growing tired", Legolas prayed that she wouldn't detect the lie of his words.

"Then maybe it be best if we stop for the night", Athëa yawned before signaling for Reignar to halt. "The horses seem to need the rest as well."

Legolas thanked Eru that she did not notice his discomfort and embarrassment. He took pride in always being composed, but around her he was not himself. He couldn't gather his thoughts when she was near, because the thought of her beauty, her eyes, her lips always tried to penetrate his mind.

She kept his mind occupied, resulting in the otherwise all aware elf to not notice an enemy closing in on the three as they stopped for the night.

Legolas reached for Athëas hand to help the still injured savage queen off the horse. She smiled thankfully back at him, and he felt the hairs stand in the back of his neck as her hand touched his. But he never got the chance to bring her to the ground.

The hissing sound of an arrow flying through the air was the only warning Athëa got before a black arrow shot though Legolas' back and the arrowhead appeared from out his chest.

Their eyes met, as Legolas saw the fright in Athëas. The sounds around him got muffled as he watched her fire arrows at an enemy behind him. He heard Reigner call out though he could not make out the words. Then the darkness engulfed him as he fell to the ground.

Athëa sent a dagger flying through the air, before it embedded itself between the eyes of the last standing orc. It fell to the ground with a thump, letting the silence fill the air once again.

Athëa jumped off the horse from where she was sitting and kneeled beside her fallen friend.

"Legolas, no...", she cried as she placed a hand on his cheek.

She ripped the hole in his shirt from where the arrow was protruding and her heart sank at what she saw.

"We need to get him to Helms Deep, quickly!", Reignar said as he ran to her side.

"The arrow is poisoned", she said in bewilderment. "If we put him on a horse it will make the poison spread faster and he will die within minutes!" She rose and locked eyes with Reignar. "I will stay by his side, you go get help", a strange sense of acceptance filled her voice.

"Have you lost your mind!? Leave you alone and unprotected!? And where should I even find such help!?", Reignar yelled at his queen.

She gave him no answer, instead she kept her expressionless look.

Infuriated by her lack of response, he threw his sword to the ground and sent a scream of anger though the trees. "Helms deep will be overrun before I even get there and Elluinë will have been emptied to come to the aid of men! You wish for me to seek salvation with the elves!? Lorien is hidden to the race of men and his father...," Reignar said pointing to the unconscious ellon on the ground. "HA! He wouldn't listen to a savage like me! Not even to safe the life of his only son!"

Athëa took a step towards the lost subordinate in front of her. She laid a hand on each of his shoulders and gave him a comforting smile.

"You don't wish for me to get help to save him, you are ordering me to go away to safe myself," the man furrowed his brow at the realization.

"These orcs were not here by chance, dear friend. They were sent to warn me of his coming. I will not let you stand in their way, for what their king truly desires; me," Athëa said resting her forehead against his.

Reignar scoffed at her words as a sad smile crept up on his face. "Every time I think I have you figured out, my queen, you rip the carpet from under me."

"I have to keep you on your toes, you know", she winked at him and smiled.

Athëa saw the tears form in Reinars eyes as she lifted her head and placed a kiss between them. "This will not be the last time we meet", she said looking over his rough features. "I promise."

Reignar took a step back and bowed his head as he put a hand on his heart. "My queen," he said, before mounting his horse and riding of into the distance.

Athëa kneeled down and placed a soft kiss on the forehead of the injured ellon. "Forgive me, my prince," she whispered though she knew he could not hear her.

Still kneeling, Athëa straightened her back and looked to the grey sky.

"You did this!", she shouted in despair. "I was never meant to meet him, yet you made our paths cross!"

The clouds dispersed slowly, letting the light of the stars illuminate the face of the savage queen.

"I have known this quest to be the end of me, but I never agreed for it to be the end of him!" she shouted to the sky before surrendering to her grief.

She looked back down on his beautiful face as the tears from her eyes fell on his skin. Silently she sobbed: "Eru... Father of all... I beg of you to help me safe him..."

******
Sooo this took a fast turn 😅

I hope you enjoyed, though put an arrow through our favorite elf😅

Please comment and/or press the star🙏

"Your move, Middle Earth Games"

-nindeanin