Let the pens talk

Nico

HELLO, I AM NICO. HOW ARE YOU?

I didn't know if that was a good way to finally get to know my roommate; if it helped in any way to solve the mystery around that dooming, soaking misery.

But I had written that greeting on my college block, with a thick, black pen, so even I could read it without bigger problems. If I wouldn't be that sleep-deprived, I could even read it out loud fluently.

But, only getting two to four hours sleep per night for now fourteen days didn't help. Some people could do that; I couldn't. I needed nine hours per day to function: and I didn't function at all right now.

Suzanne luckily had been to Camp Half Blood, therefore I could tell her about the misery Simon spread, and also about the fact he didn't talk. She had suggested that he might be deaf or mute, and also that his blown kiss might be just a friendly gesture; as well as my cheek kisses for Hazel were a friendly gesture.

I could get behind that. From my boyfriend and doctor Will I knew that even deaf people sometimes liked to listen to music; because even though they couldn't exactly hear it, they still recognized it. As a hearing person, I couldn't understand it, but I knew it was possible.

But I didn't know American Sign Language. Therefore, I had bought a few pens and college blocks yesterday, when Will and I were alone in the city. Last week, I sadly couldn't do any business as Celine wouldn't let us alone... I understood why Will would like her, but she was a little too much for my introverted self. Though playfully, she tended to be very, very mean, and I didn't like getting hurt just for others to have fun.

Maybe I was a wimp. But that was what I thought about her.

Yesterday, we had had the day to ourselves. Will, the gentleman he was, had persuaded me to stay with him that night; were I luckily didn't have to turn him down again because Heinrich had come in. But I knew it had been close.

And at least I wasn't such a mess of testosterone as the characters in this series were.

Kathy had given me access to her Netflix account; and Will and I had finally bought a phone; an HTC 10, because we didn't want to partake in the iPhone/Samsung battle.

And I fought out Netflix was quite... distracting. As I first started the series, I missed my math course, my eyes fixed on the screen for about eight hours. Will luckily was able to come through my ADHD-controlled brain, because he had the power of neck kisses and hot chocolate.

But as Simon now entered the room, his looming darkness, filling my lungs and making tears shoot into my eyes, was also enough to make me turn my phone off.
As always, he danced sensually, like a ballet dancer who tried out modern dancing.
I waited nervously, my fingers trembling while holding the block in his direction. Oh gods, I felt so stupid.

Well, I had to do something.

Finally, his eyes fell on the paper. They were actually deeper than honey; matching my sister Hazel's eyes, but more rich, more warm. Perfectly lined, thick eyebrows hovered over these eyes, giving him a falcon look, but also a kind of confused one.

Or maybe he was confused because of my way to communicate. Should I have written something else?

Simon turned around to his bed and seemed to search for something in his bedside table. Out of it, he pulled - a college block and a pen himself.
My shoulders sank down. Subconsciously, I shoved myself deeper under my sword shards, where the scent of misery wasn't so strong.