2nd Letter

A LETTER TO MY MOTHER

***

Hi there Mama! So how's life? Didn't expect that our town changed so much no? Well you've been out for a while.

I spent my life with only a few years with you here at our side. I mean our whole family did but I know that we need it. 
You needed to go away...to work for all of us.

For the sake of our future.

***

Ever since I was a kid, you were already a very hard worker.

I don't exactly remember how old I was that time but I'm sure that I was very young back then.  Naalala ko na nagtrabaho ka noon sa isang karinderya. And there were instances na sinasama mo ko doon.

But then that wasn't always the case. When you and Daddy are both busy. I always end up staying at Lola's house in Labac.

If I remember correctly, I was in kindergarten back then when you first had a job abroad. You worked in Kuwait under one of their Princess there.

Leaving me and Dad behind. Dad and our other relatives took care of me that time. Then after two years, you finally came home.

Nakakatawa pa nga kapag naaalala ko yung nangyari noon.

Pumunta kami ng airport para sunduin ka pero nauna ka pa sa bayan kesa saming lahat. Talk about epic fail haha.

Tapos ayoko pang lumapit sayo that time. Typical reaction of a child separated from a parent. Ilag ganon. Lumapit lang yata ako sayo nung pinakita mo na sakin yung uwi mong chocolates at mga laruan noon haha. Sorry about that Mama. The kid version of me doesn't recognize you that time eh.

***

We even had memorable times such as...going home to Eastern Samar.

I remember the day that you were supposed to go. I cried and clinged to you. Binilhan niyo pa nga ko ng unan na winnie the pooh saka nagjollibee tayo pero humabol pa rin ako sa dulo. You ended up buying another ticket for me kasi nagwagi ang makulit na ako noon. Napasama ako sa paguwi mo papuntang Samar.

I remember seeing the Mayon while we pass by Albay with our bus. May nga stop over din tayo sa piyestahan ng ilang bario kung saan tayo pinakain ng nga taga ron. I even remember having to poop at their weird comfort room haha. It was one hilarious memory you see.

Aside from that, nung nasa port na tayo ng barko, naalala kong nahulog ako sa sa isang pathway. Masyado kasing mataas para sa batang tulad ko, ayon nagkasugat tuloy ako sa siko.

It felt amazing being able to ride a ship on my young age back then. Ang dami kong nakita for the first time. Ang ganda ng tubig. Malinaw at kitang kita mo yung malalaking jellyfish na parang kasing laki ng batyang ginagamit natin sa paglalaba ng damit. People from the ship also throw coins in the water tapos sinisisid yon para pulutin ng mga taong taga doon. Oh and meron ding bar sa loob ng ship na yon. In fact, I remember sleeping inside of it. Kumportable kasi sa loob ng bar na yon.

When we landed on Visayas, it took us a lot of time before reaching Oras—our destination. I even have one weird experience remember?

I saw a cat but not an ordinary one. Pusa yon na may baliktad na paa. And they said that the thing I saw back then was an "Aswang".

It's pretty creepy but I was never scared of stuffs like that so carry lang.

My time in Oras was short but fun. I remember complaining to some things like the bed being so hard and the people not being able to talk to me because I can't understand their dialect—I only speak with them in Tagalog and English.