18

Cupcakes

On Monday, Jez didn't go to lunch with us because he said he had something to do, so he sent us ahead. It was good that Marcus and I packed lunch so we didn't have to line up for long. In the usual place at the back of the cafeteria where we had many electric fans. I first removed my notebooks from my bag. I don't have that pink lunch box that Jez bought for me.

"Is there a problem, Kaoree?" I fixed my hair because I'm kind of stressed. When I opened my bag I panicked because I didn't see my lunch there. I don't have enough money to buy lunch. The only thing here in my pocket is my fare and contribution for our group project.

"I forgot my lunch box", I said in a disappointed tone. Sweat started to drip from my forehead which I wiped with my handkerchief.

Marcus scratched his head. "I'm sorry, Kaoree. My money is only enough for my project. Anyway, let's just split up my lunch."

He put two slices of pork chop in the lid of his lunchbox and gave the box to me. Usually, I'm not shy when it comes to food but when it comes to Marcus it's different. I stared at the food he provided. "I'll just borrow a spoon and fork." He would have stood up when I held on the end of his uniform.

"I'm fine. I still have pandesal here." This is what I packed earlier for my recess but I forgot to eat because Melissa was talking to me a lot about her crushes and their dog, Cookie.

"That's not possible. You won't be satisfied with that." He stared at the two pandesals.

I wondered as if an angel had passed by because the students were silent for a while. A few seconds later that was replaced by the sly screams of women and men with female hearts.

"Let's eat," Marcus said. I could do nothing and so I followed him. At first, I ate only a few bits of pork but because my hunger prevailed, I couldn't stop myself from speeding up my meal.

"Someone's looking for you!" Melissa could almost spit her food out just by looking at me. My friend's face turns red.

"Who is it?" I asked in a puzzled tone.

Melissa sat down next to me. Actually, I often invited her to lunch with us but this one keeps on refusing a few times, because she often went to lunch with the other classmates.

"Asdfghjkl ...." she replied as if I understood what she said. Is she choking or something?

Marcus and I looked at each other and he shrugged.

The surroundings became even louder. I just found out that I almost dropped my jaw when I saw who was in front of me. He seemed to be glowing in his uniform, and he looked like he was in a shampoo commercial because of the wind blowing his hair. He had one hand in his pocket while the other was holding a paper bag.

"Here's your lunch." He quickly placed the paper bag he was holding on the table.

I blinked several times and swallowed my own saliva. "Th ... thank you!" I was embarrassed to say. He went to the cafeteria counter. The eyes of the students followed him. Among others his uniform is a head turner, beside his uniform is different to us, he's really charismatic wearing it.

He bought three apple juices. He gave it to us including Marcus and Melissa. Melissa accentuated the scream. So, I gestured not to bother him.

"Thank you, T.H." said Marcus smiling like he's in heaven. His friend did not respond.

It turns out that he has a class at one o'clock in the afternoon so maybe he stopped by so he could deliver my lunch to me. I bit my lower lip. Why does my cheek seem to be getting hot?

Why does my heart keep on pounding as If I'm running to my death.

I fanned myself. Maybe it's just hot so I'm being like this. "It's good that he saw your lunch and brought it to you." Marcus smiled.

I just stared at the paper bag. Something told me in my mind not to eat that.

"Eat it, girl! I know those worms in your stomach are hungry", said Melissa who was still sitting next to me.

"Huh? Uh ... Alright." I opened the paper bag and handed Marcus some food. There is another blue box. I looked inside. Six cupcakes with pink icing.

"Hey! T.H's baked that! It smells so good!" Marcus took one as I stared at them. He's like a kid who enjoys baked goods from her mother. I can't believe T.H knows how to bake?

"Awful! It's delicious!" he said as he bit what he took. I bit my lower lip in extreme trembling. I banged my head on the table several times.

Gosh! T.H is driving me crazy!

"You eat too Kaoree's friend." Marcus handed one to Melissa. My friend couldn't believe it but still he didn't hesitate to accept that.

"Taste it!" Marcus was as happy as a child.

Of course! I will taste it only once in my life. Someone baked for me!

I took one. The joy I felt never leaves my lips. It was as if I was floating in the sky. A handsome creature baked for me. I'm really a special Goddess!

I parted my hair. "The length of my hair is like Rapunzel," I whispered to myself then giggled.

My cell phone vibrated so I took it out of my pocket. T.H.'s name appeared.

Omo! I think he wants me to know if I love cupcakes, he baked for me. I noticed it! He even texted me.

I opened his message and ...

T.H

I forgot to say, does Marcus eat cupcakes? I baked it for him

I want to throw out the cupcake I ate. My blood rushed to my head.

"I don't want it now! It's not delicious!" I push down the piece of cupcake on the table.

The two were gasped at my reaction.

"What's not delicious? Your kind of enjoying eating it", Melissa said while wiping the side of her lip with a tissue.

"Is it a sin that the mixture of my tongue suddenly changes?" I'm going to sleep.

"All right, we'll just eat", Marcus said gently. My eyebrows met because of my anger while watching them eating those silly cupcakes!I thought it was for me!

I suddenly heard the voice of Jez, "Don't assume things right away. Asked first, okay? So, you won't disappoint yourself"

Yes, Jez! I rolled my eyes.