25

I watched Marcus as he slept soundly on his bed. Latrelle was already asleep next to him from exhaustion. Earlier he was watching his friend go out of his mind. I also covered Latrelle using a comforter after I arranged his own hand into a pillow.

I squeezed Marcus's face towel again with lukewarm water of the small bucket before putting it back on his forehead. I left them both to rest.

We hadn't eaten well before, so I went down to the kitchen. I had no appetite, so I just took some baked mac, graham and pizza.

"Girl, food trip?" I let go of the fork I was holding. Who wouldn't be surprised at my friend wearing white pajamas and it's not just that her face is so white because of the cream she put on her face.

"Jez, I really need to eat to have some energy" I said then continued to suck.

He also took a fork and cut into my baked mac. He was holding the rollers wrapped around his head.

"Why do you have rollers, it's just a wig?"

I don't know what my friend's trip is because sometimes he just curls his hair with his wig. I think the screw on his head is loose.

"I'm supposed to be a woman. This long hair is cute when its curled " he continued eating.

I watched him consume my food. "Okay! So, you can eat my food if you want! That's all for you!"

"I'm full, girl" he said goodbye then went up the stairs.

I just sat and eat quietly for a few minutes. I also ate rice, but I did not feel full. I still plan to watch Balye sa Kalye tomorrow in case the timing looks ugly to have fun. I just went outside to think there.

Just as I was about to sit down, I felt a few drops of the rain. "Looks like it's raining"

I just didn't care about that. That's why there are no stars and thus the night is so quiet that even crickets seem to be hidden in their respective homes. I rubbed my thighs as I gazed at the distant civilization of Manila. They said that Manila can be seen from here in our barangay, so I believed it.

Then it was obvious because of the lights. The one on the other side is Pilillia, Rizal because their big Wind Mill is obvious. My dream is to get there just in case it's too far.

Melissa told me once I talked to her. We can go there just by motor boat and we will pass there. That's just too expensive. Then it's better to just wear it. She also wanted to go there but he wanted to be with Marcus. I don't know about that woman. Sometimes my friend is right. Sometimes not.

The mind is fickle.

I caught the tiny raindrops with my palm. I remember Mom and Dad when every rainy season began, they would let me take a shower in the rain. Sometimes we would bathe together. We even had time to offer Jez but that one is artistic.

He believes that the water from the rain is dirty so he doesn't want to touch even a little bit of it.

Mama said that Jez was right so sometimes they wouldn't let me take a bath.

I was surprised to lose its drip on my palms. I looked up. There is a black umbrella at the top of my head.

"Mom, Dad. You're serious! Don't be surprised like that!" I will weep bitterly.

So, I turned a blind eye out of fear.

What am I going to do?

A. Run

B. Sit down and wait for them to disappear

C. Just come along?

Of course, the letter C is just a joke! I still love my life.

"What's that, Ma! I'm not happy with you and Papa's trippings" I'm actually feeling brave now even though I feel like I want to lose my heart in my chest.

I just remember them but I don't mean to feel. That's a different thing!

I took a deep breath as I fanned myself with my hands.

I can do this!

I closed my eyes to face them.

But I felt differently. Instead of the cold breath of the corpse it was the warm breath of the living person I felt near my lips.

I slowly opened my eyes. Because of the shock I lost my standing balance. So just like the speed of it he squeezed my waist.

Because of that, my face came close to his face again.

I was just caught in his clothes.

He raised an eyebrow at me but a cold look came from his eyes.

My lips trembled because of the pain it caused me. "T ... T.H ... What are you doing here?"

"You, why haven't you slept yet?"

Gradually his grip on my waist loosened so I could breathe easily.

"Just thinking ..." I replied while looking directly into his eyes where I could clearly see the reflection of the dim light of the hut.

He sat down next to me. I sat down as well. He doesn't seem to be able to sleep either.

Quiet between the two of us as usual. No one spoke but even so the beating of my heart prevailed.

Maybe I'm high blood. I can try to see a doctor this week.

When I was feeling a bit drowsy, I accidentally put my head on T.H.'s shoulder.

I fell asleep for a while and just woke up because of what he did.

He held his head with his fingers.

My eyes rolled in emptiness. Earlier he slept on my shoulder! I'm done, can't I?

This one is serious.

"I'm sorry", he didn't answer.

I stood up and stretched my body. Thank you and the drowsiness I had been waiting for visited me.

"I have a question ..."

I turned to him.

What does this snobbish man need, who is even more snobbish than Jez?

"All right. What's that?"

"Where is it better to sleep? On my shoulder, or on Wyn's shoulder?"

I just laughed at what he said. What could have entered his brain? The question is too random.

"You know let's just go to sleep, T.H" and I yawned.