Ch 9: Disconcerting genuineness

Ella didn't show up at breakfast the next day. Briar came up to her room, asking if she wanted to head to one of the towns to see the markets, but she begged off, claiming she wasn't feeling well.

It wasn't a lie, she hadn't slept a wink, between arriving late the night before and the buzzing of her mind, sleep was simply off the table. She wondered why Gidden hadn't told them about what she did, and she concluded that he simply didn't want to be held responsible for her foolish actions.

By late morning, Ella had settled into keeping her mind busy by reading a faerie children's book she'd borrowed from the library. Her regular habit of reading voraciously had resurfaced quickly, given that there was an entire grand library chock full of faerie literature available. She'd taken a special liking to adventure stories.

A hesitant knock sounded on her door, breaking her concentration away from the volume in her hands. She expected to find Briar, but instead, Gidden stood there, a hand scratching the back of his neck and the other one holding a small plate.

"I thought you might want something... You weren't at breakfast," he trailed off, seeming flustered. "Can I come in?"

She stared at him for a moment, blinking slowly, but moved aside to let him in, taking the small plate off his hands. A peach and a small sandwich. A peace offering. She set the tray on the low table and took the sandwich.

"I don't think you're selfish," he blurted out, before cutting himself off and scathing at his neck, red-faced. "What I mean is, I'm sorry, for saying those things and I'm sorry for accusing you that way. I was angry and scared that you'd hurt yourself," he said, scratching at his collar. "And I was angry that I didn't get there on time. I wish you'd told me. I didn't realize that keeping things from you was making you so upset."

"I understand," she said in a steady, low tone, to which he looked up with a slightly furrowed brow. "You were right, anyhow. I didn't consider how it could affect everything. It was foolish," she said, clasping her hands. "I realize that it must be frustrating to have such a delicate matter at hands only for someone to ruin it on a whim. I can see why you'd be frustrated." She stared at the food clutched in her hands. "I shouldn't have insulted you either."

"I don't agree with what you did, but I could have done things differently as well. I didn't know how to handle the situation," he admitted, letting out a sigh. "I really didn't mean to say what I did, I was frustrated."

"It's fine, I understand. I'm a bit... much sometimes," she grimaced, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't mean to be so rash, I just get carried away. All I want is to see my family. I don't think things through sometimes. As I said, I won't cause trouble anymore. Before you know it I'll be out of your hair."

"I don't want you to go," Gidden said abruptly, causing Ella to raise her eyebrows. He looked flustered but sincere. "I mean that I don't want you to feel unwelcome here. I didn't mean what I said last night-- that I want you to leave."

"Besides, I think Briar would have me hanged by my toes if she knew that I'd chased off her new friend with my rudeness." He smiled tentatively and shifted on his feet.

"Well, I'm still here. You won't be winning any hospitality contests anytime soon, but you haven't chased me off," she said dryly. At Gidden's wide eyes, she let out a sardonic half grin and he visibly relaxed.

"Come with me?" he said after a moment

Ella arched a brow, "Where do you want to go?"

"I promised you a tour around my favourite places if you'd still like to anyway," Gidden said, rubbing his nape with his hand. She noted that this was something he did when nervous.