21: No One Will Ever Love You Like I Do

"Your majesty, you haven't touched your food, it will get cold." Ruby looked at Artemis from across the table.

"I'm not hungry." Artemis said as he stared down at the food in his plate.

The prince of Sapphire and the soon-to-be princess were currently having lunch outside in the balcony that gave view of the royal gardens.

Ruby rolled her eyes and sighed. She wiped her mouth with the silk napkin and laid her utensils down on the plate.

"Quit moping around about that vampire, Artemis. You did the right thing in kicking him out of the castle and your life." Ruby commented as she took a sip of her champagne. "It's all smooth sailing from here."

Artemis frowned at her words and tried his best to ignore her. He didn't say a word as that was what he had been doing for the past three days ever since he sent Hades away.

The wedding was now around the corner, only a full day was left before the deal was sealed, and Artemis couldn't feel anything other than gut-wrenching guilt and regret. Words could never express how guilty he felt about hurting Hades, he had constant nightmares and flashbacks of seeing as his destroyed emotions took hold of his face. The look of disappointment, disbelief, and despair. The evident hurt in his eyes.

Ruby left Artemis alone in the balcony and returned to the castle to find something to do.

A cool breeze swept over Artemis, his white hair waving in its direction.

Artemis had stopped crying, but he had not smiled in this whole time, not once, as he had no reason to. He stared down at the engagement ring that ruined his love, and his heart constricted.

He took it off his finger and tossed it towards the gardens off the balcony in frustration. Artemis placed his face in his palms, regretting every word he said to his lover.

Perhaps he should have thought about his actions twice. Hades was willing to help Artemis fight his conservative kingdom, but Artemis gave up the fight before he even tried.

He should have fought, taken a stand in honor of their love. He should have given Hades a chance, maybe he could have fled Sapphire and started a new life in Lamia. He could have married Hades, loved him for the rest of his life and be loved by him.

All the should haves and could have beens clawed at Artemis the whole day. If only he'd been brave enough he wouldn't be alone.

Artemis stayed the rest of the day outside in the balcony. He didn't want to go back to the castle and his room to be haunted by the memories of their love.

Dia occasionally checked on him, both out of duty and genuine concern, but she felt pity for the poor prince each time she would talk to him only to receive silence. He wasn't ignoring her, he just didn't even think speaking his mind had a point anymore.

The sky transitioned from that bright blue to a fiery orange as the sun started descending it and to the mountains. Tears rolled down as the natural phenomenon was reflected in Artemis's eyes.

With eyes filled with dusk, he remembered ever so clearly the way he felt each time sunset arrived. The feeling of being free to love and express it once the moon climbed out was the object of his anticipation.

Now, only cold darkness and lone starless skies awaited him. But this was the fate he was to suffer, it was too late to change anything.

****

Chiming bells in the chapel and excited chatter from the subjects ran through the celebrating kingdom of Sapphire. The celebratory music from the instruments of Ezamore echoed through the streets.