𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"He didn't just see it, he killed it." Minho's face gleamed, looking at Thomas.

Echo was still stood with her arms around Newt before she decided to pull away slowly. Part of her mind was telling her to tell him everything that had happened to them right at that moment, the other part however told her to remain silent for a while. She was both mentally and physically exhausted, she had just encountered a griever only a few hours ago. And her back was still aching from getting thrown aside from a griever. The adrenaline she had felt in the moment was no longer there. She could feel the tips of her fingers starting to shake, was she going to be stuck in here forever? No, perhaps there was a small area of hope now that Thomas had actually killed the griever, and that her, Thomas, Minho and Alby had actually stayed in the maze overnight, and survived. Barely survived, but it was better than dying in there.

"Echo? Are you okay?" Newt's voice had snapped her out of her thoughtful state.

"Yeah, we should probably go join the other's anyway." She turned her head to the gladers moving towards the council hall, two of them carrying Alby to the medjacks.

She felt his hand graze her arm, turning her towards him again.

"You can't keep doing that." He sighed.

"Doing what?"

"Lying, I know there is no possible way that you are okay after going through whatever happened in there." His face was plastered with sympathy.

"Well, no, I'm not necessarily okay, but I just think there are more pressing matters than what has happened to me right now," She stated, slightly tilting her head. "And it's not like there would be anything you could do about it."

"Are you hurt?" he went on, subtly examining her for any cuts or bruises.

"Newt," she laughed. "I'm flattered that you care about me, but I am honestly fine, right now I think we should focus on what's going to happen after Thomas killed that.. thing."

"I'm just asking, you did just come out of the maze, alive, and no one has ever done that before. Ever," He raised his eyebrows, making a point. "And, this is the second time something relevantly bad had happened to you."

"Third actually." She corrected, remembering one of her first encounters at the glade being attacked by a stung glader.

"That does not make it any better." Newt tried to stay serious on the subject.

"You know what, maybe I'll start writing about all these events, awakening in the glade." She laughed.

"Well, it definitely wouldn't be a comedy." He chuckled.

"A tragedy that hopefully ends in good fortune," she smiled. "Maybe, then one day if we get out of here, I'll be able to look back on it and see how awful life used to be."

"When we get out of here." He corrected as they began to walk to the council hall.

"I'll write about you and me as well." She said briskly while walking into the hall, the chatter was high, with Gally at the centre of it all once again.

Echo walked over to take a seat next to Thomas who gave her a simple nod as they waited for everyone to calm down.

"Newt, Echo, finally." Minho remarked.

Echo pursed her lips, a slight furrow between her brows as she waited for someone to tell her what was going on.

"Things are definitely changing and there is no denying that." Gally began.

"First Ben and George, and then Alby," He stood with his arms crossed, his gaze flickered between Thomas and Echo. "And now our greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze."