A Slice of Normal

Start from the beginning

Though I hated how small he felt in my arms, the explosion of fireworks that went off as soon as I touched him was unparalleled to anything I'd ever felt before. Not even when we consummated the bond the first time. Not when he kissed me for the first time. Not even when he held my hand for the first time.

I hugged him tightly like my life depended on breathing in his very scent, and maybe it did. After the hell I had gone through, I was never going to be so careless again. Walking with him to the bed, I savoured the warmth his body gave me, and I heard him laugh as I gently placed him down at the centre of it and then clambered in to hug him again.

I had taken note of the absence of scars on his neck and face which meant that my healing enzymes had worked magic in his recovery. And even though he was here in my arms, awake and soothingly running his fingers through my hair while I laid nestled between his legs, I was still having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

"It's okay." he whispered soothingly as tears stung my eyes and fell. I felt like an idiot for crying when I should be taking him in my arms and kissing him senselessly.

I should be simultaneously holding him and scolding him for his recklessness. For his stubbornness and leaving me without even saying a proper goodbye. I should be angry at him for foolishly taking a knife meant for me. Stupidly risking his life for mine when he should've known he was one thousand times more valued than a pampered beta from Marcana.

Why? Why would he continue to be so damn careless with his life?

"Love?" he called gently when my sobbing and heaving had died away, and my face lay on a notably wet spot on his shirt. "Carter?" he called again, clearly not at all fazed by the mess that lay on his shoulder. I felt him shift as if trying to get me to raise my head so that he could see my face.

Sniffling, I finally gained the courage to do as he wanted, but he was instantly greeted by a fierce glare. He frowned.

"You're fucking stupid."

Those pretty blue eyes glazed over with confusion and he pouted, averting his gaze as if he believed the insult. I scoffed and shook my head.

"What the hell were you thinking? When are you going to stop being so careless? Do you have any idea the hell I went through these last two days? I probably could've survived getting attacked but you..." I growled in frustration, letting my words fall away.

He made me so angry that sometimes I had to remind myself of why I loved him so fucking much, mate bond be damned. The fact that he was fated to me simply wasn't reason enough anymore. I don't think I'd ever forgive him for carelessly taking that knife for me especially when he had no idea how terrified I'd been watching him die.

Fear like that...I'd never felt it before.

At one point, I used to think Kelly's rejection was the most fearful I had been. When she had come to my parents' house that day, I knew right away that something wasn't right by the crestfallen expression she carried and that she had barely even looked at me. Then she'd said those four words nobody wanted to hear.

'We need to talk.'

She'd gone on to tell me how we weren't working out, and that I wasn't the problem. She told me that I was a great guy, and anyone would be lucky to have me, but being the mate to a future beta, especially of a pack like Marcana, wasn't something she wanted. She wanted a life away from the aristocracy that came with being part of the circle of Jasper Falls' founding families and she couldn't have that with a mate of my status.

I should've seen the signs though. Even when we'd been together, she played the part well just to keep me happy. But she hated being the centre of attention, and she despised how people she didn't know kept getting into her business. Unlike me who enjoyed the perks of popularity that no doubt, fed my ego from time to time.