My chest heaved up and down as I shut my eyes tightly. I could practically hear my heart in my ears as I tried to regulate my breathing.

I felt someone shake me slightly and I opened my eyes to make out a blurred figure leaning down to my height.

"Eirene." I heard a whisper in my ear which made me jump in the arms of the person standing in front of me.

Wrapping my arms around the torso, I buried my face in their chest.

"It's me, relax. Nothing's happened. It's just you and I. You're safe." A familiar voice spoke while rubbing my back in a soothing manner.

My breathing eventually evened out and I inhaled the scent of forest mixed with aftershave which, oddly, calmed me.

I looked up with tearful eyes and met the emerald pair that seemed to display concern.

I swallowed and wiped a hand across my cheeks before pulling away.

"I'm sorry. I-I overreacted. I'm not really used to surprises or anything out of the ordinary." I, ashamedly, admitted.

He grasped my chin and made me look at his extremely chiseled and handsome face.

"Were you ever abused?" he inquired.

"N-no." I answered as my eyes widened slightly.

He assessed my face for a couple of seconds longer making me feel uneasy. I started fiddling with my thumbs while averting my eyes to the painting on the wall behind him.

He grazed my cheek with his knuckles and slid his hand down along the length of my arm sending a shiver up my spine. His hand halted as soon as it touched my smaller one and he wrapped his fingers around my palm before walking in the direction of the staircase.

The mansion was... huge. The interior resembles ancient Greek houses but with a modern touch. The combination of colors in every part was gold, cream, and black. The floor was pearl white marble and shiny. A huge gold-colored chandelier hung from the center of the living room.

"Do you like it?" he asked referring to the interior.

I nodded my head quietly as we descended the stairs.

"You're not much of a talker, are you?" he questioned again.

I froze on the last step in fear that he might get angry if I don't respond to him so I quickly blinked and opened my mouth, "Uh, I do talk."

He turned around nonchalantly and tugged at my hand. I followed his lead and we stepped inside a huge dining hall that could fit at least sixty people. He sat at the head of the table and motioned for me to take a seat on his right.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" he asked.

His question did not startle me as I have been asked that a million times before so I shook my head in negative.

"Any ex?" he asked, getting agitated for some reason.

I remained quiet and shook my head in response, once again.

"I need you to look me in the eye and respond with the voice you've been gifted with. Understood?" he gritted out.

I swallowed and nodded my head when I realized my mistake so I answered with a timid 'yes.'

"Good. You're already familiar with the arrangement that was made by our great grandfathers, right?" he paused for my reply.

"Yes." I replied.

"Alright. Well, here's the deal. I had someone I had been sleeping with for a couple of months. I was told that you saw her. I'm a man, it's obvious I have needs. But you'll be my wife soon, so I will of course sever my ties with her. I'd like to be called a loyal and committed man. You're not to flirt with any other man, you're mine. We're stuck together whether we like it or not." he concluded with a sigh.

Layla was plating our food all the while shaking her head in disappointment at him.

"How long?" I asked timidly.

Will I be able to give him what he wants? Because I'm scared to death.

"For the rest of our lives, doll." he answered casually.

I frowned deeply at that statement. For the rest of our lives?

A loveless marriage?

"Stop it, Dar. She's scared, can't you see?" Layla hissed.

"Oh right, about that, you'll stick with me wherever we go. And if you feel threatened or uncomfortable around anyone you'll come right to me. And to answer your concern Layla, this little kitten is always scared." he smiled innocently at the end.

I pouted and looked down at my plate which was now filled with a good portion of pasta and some fried chicken wings.

My mouth watered at the sight of the wings and my tongue poked out a little to swipe across my upper lip. I was snapped out of my trance when I heard a laughter boom in the dining area.

Looking up, I found Layla doubling over in laughter while the devilishly handsome man sat there looking at me with a soft smile and amusement twinkling in his orbs, brightening the green in them.

I frowned in confusion and Layla sobered up immediately, "Oh child, I didn't know you liked pasta that much."

My eyes widened and I flushed red in embarrassment, "I, um, I'm sorry. It's just, uh, that, uh, I love chicken wings with garlic and hot sauce. They're my favorite food." I admitted shyly while tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Oh dear, I'll bring you more." she said and was about to leave but I stopped her.

"No, please. It's enough. Thank you for the dinner." I said politely.

She nodded and was dismissed soon after we dug in.

"You have a high spice tolerance." he commented.

"Uh, yeah. My brother and I, we, love spicy food." I replied in agreement.

He nodded his head and listed a few more terms of our marriage, that were acceptable before we were done with the dinner. He stood up to leave and I followed suit.

I was walking right behind him when he abruptly turned around taking me by surprise and breathed down on my forehead.

"Darius." he whispered huskily.

"Huh?" I looked up.

Our faces were a few centimeters apart as he flashed me his smirk and said, "The name's Darius Alexander Pantazis."

"