Chapter 24

***Malachi POV***

I stagger back.
My hand press against my cheekbone as pain stung through the left side of my face. At least it wasn't my eye. I can't explain a black eye very well. I pull my hands off, bloodstains my palm.

"I leave you with such simple tasks," he barks, "I come back to such HAVOC because you don't know how to get your SHIT together,"

If it wasn't obvious, my father came back from his trip. He is clearly unhappy about what had awaited him. He just learned about how Tempest, being the badass she is, has made more money than he has in his years at a druglord accountant. This is remarkable, honestly, and I still don't have the slightest clue how she did it.

The past two days were a whole blur.
It's been raining and I have been pouring.
Don't tell my dad but I am not sober. Just a little tipsy.

"Are you laughing, boy?" his eyes are glaring at me.
I didn't even know I was laughing until he pointed it out.

"No, Sir," I smile, stifling a laugh. I knew it wasn't a good idea to drink at the office, but my life couldn't get any worse or any more confusing. Plus, drinking is like anesthesia. I can barely feel the punch he threw just a couple of seconds ago.

"You are a fucking disgrace. You are so incompetent it makes me sick," he takes a seat in his chair, while I try to keep the little vision I have.

"Thanks," I say.

It's like everyone knows how awful I am and is trying to let me know, forcibly. irrelevant opinions telling me I am not as good as I think. I am so used to my dad insulting me. But it doesn't hurt me anymore. I am a grown man.

But she.

she.

She fucking stomped on my ego and left me in the fucking rain like a cheesy romance movie. People are supposed to kiss in the rain, not break hearts. I decided to give her some space, so she can take care of that wounded hand of hers.

I wonder what she did to get injured.
I wonder a lot of things about her though.
Even alcohol can't make me forget how she dramatically said, "I don't stand by your side,". Then why the hell did we kiss? Why did it get that far? Why is she constantly changing her mind?

Personally, I think it's hot. Her confusion. Her little trembling lips when she gets nervous at how close we get. I love it. It's hilarious.
I miss her.
Damn, I need to stop drinking.

"ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING?" My father's yelling takes me out of my fantasy, "What is going on with you?"

"Nothing, nothing is wrong with me. I'll do better, the betterment of my future, charm her, take advantage of her youth.... fucking hell, you threw one hell of a punch," My head feels like it's about to explode, and I am sure I should clean up the cut on my cheek before it gets infected.

"Get out of my office, get yourself out of here. I don't want to see your face unless I ask you to see me,"

I salute him and walk out.
The best thing he has said in a long time. Giving me a vacation because I fucked up his career. I mean, if I am a disappointment, I might as well go big. and now I go home.
I call Cole and tell him to pick me, as I down the mini bottle of jack daniels.

"The hell happened to your face?" Cole asks, handing me a tissue box. I take some tissues and hold them against my face.

"My father gave me a gift from Italy. It's a father-son thing we like to practice," I laugh. I laugh a bit too hard.

Cole doesn't even smile, "What's going on? You look a little... lost lately. I don't know what's changed,"

"I, my dearest friend, am blissfully, infuriatingly, madly falling for a woman who is barely 5'2" without heels," I sink into my seat, "she is... everything I hate, but I have learned to love that about her in such little time,"