6

Sunday Morning**** Malachi POV

"What do you mean 'there is a girl', Kai," Cole says, leaning forward with curiosity, "I am not following,"

I pace back and forth in my living room. Cole takes the crisp black and blood-red invitation card from the coffee table in front of him. He leans back on the couch and starts to read it.

I feel like I am losing my mind. Weeks have passed since I met the girl. I still have no idea who she is, but all I know is that she is a Moore. I recognized her bodyguard, as I have seen him many times with Mr. Moore.

But who is she?

"Kai, what the hell is wrong with you man? The invitation was sent out last week, but you are tearing the floors apart walking the same path. What is the big deal? The Moore's have hosted many parties before, why is this one special?" Cole seems very confused, which is understandable considering all I told him was 'there is a girl'.

I finally stop in the middle of the room, "Cole, I think there is an heir," I blurt out.

He looks up from the paper with wide eyes, "A what? An Heir? To the Moore Mafia?" I nod, but he shakes his head in disbelief, "No, that can't be right. Mr. Moore has two grandsons from one of his daughters and they are like three years old. Even if it's a granddaughter, they are all about ten years old. Are you telling me he has minors as heirs?"

"No, the girl I saw was not a minor. At least I hope not, or else I would have gotten killed by now. She seems of age, but I have no idea where she came from. I heard one of the bodyguards from the Moore Mansion call her 'Miss Moore'. Which means either she is kin or," I cringe at the next phrase, "his newly-wedded wife,"

Cole makes a face of disgust, "Oh hell no, Mr. Moore married a woman our age? I was wondering why this invitation seemed so fancy, that's gross," he flings the card onto the table.

"It's just a theory. I mean she could be his kin, maybe his first daughter had a child?" I question.

Cole rises quickly, "Wait, whatever happened to the first daughter anyways?"

"I don't know. My father tells me she disappeared suddenly, and they never heard from her until her death about three or four months ago. Mr. Moore said she had a terminal disease all her life and was traveling to different places to get treated," I listen to the words I say, but something doesn't add up.

"So you are telling me, he sent his daughter away secretly to treat some unknown disease, and now approximately twenty years later, some girl shows up and you think she is the heir?" The way he says it makes it sound impossible, "What does she even look like?"

Yeah, definitely impossible, "She has almost dark skin, like bronze, curly dark brown hair, very short but everyone is short compared to me,"

"Yeah, no, she is definitely a couple of shades too dark to be a Moore. Besides, We would have known if he had another grandchild, though,"

That makes sense.
unless Mr. Moore has been lying to us this whole time.

For some reason, I am hoping that all of this is just a huge misunderstanding because I know what this all means if she is a Moore ...if she is an heir.
It means she is coming after the title I long deserve.
It means the title is hers by default, but I am just merely an easy competition.

I flashback to how I dragged her to the stairwell. How I was so close to knowing her name until she boldly pulled me down to her face.
Her brown eyes.
Her smooth skin, that I didn't touch.
Her lips.
I've never come so close to a woman all to not steal a kiss.
I remember the curve of her waist, beneath the dark sweater.
Her sweet and light scent.

She knew who I was.
I have no idea who she is.
I am at a disadvantage.

I feel like I am getting played.

"What are you thinking about?" I didn't realize Cole was standing next to me and almost throw a punch, "Damn, chill. You and I both know I am the least of your problems,"

"Yeah yeah," I try to laugh, "I am glad to have a friend like you,"

"It's not every day you find a friend who will give up an opportunity for great deals of fortune for you,"

When we were seventeen, we were the two men chosen to be potential heirs for the Moore Mafia, handpicked by Mr. Moore himself. His children all left him alone with the fortune he made for them, so he decided to take me and Cole as his own sons. Cole and I were both beyond thrilled; we have been training all of our lives to take on the highest role within our own families, and now... we were going to take over the central foundation.

However, as the years went by, Cole became less interested. He dropped out of college and decided to travel the world and live. I stayed behind and am on the verge of finishing college. I stayed and learned the playbook. After Cole's adventure, he returned and told me privately that he no longer want to pursue the heir position. That it was all mine.
But he didn't want to tell his family he is turning down a great opportunity, so it's between me and him.

I had multiple dinners with Mr. Moore, trying to convince him to choose me for the spot, though I have no competition.

I don't know if I was doing it because I want to succeed as his heir or if I enjoyed the father-like compassion he had towards me. He would always advise me to stop playing around with women, to get married in my prime years, to work hard.
My father barely says hello to me.
Mr. Moore is everything I want to be.
More importantly, his position is what I want.

I deserve it.
I have worked way too hard.
I have proved myself time and time.
I long for the day my father is under my boot.

So I pray for the sake of the girl that she isn't running against me.
I am a dirty player.
I will stop at nothing until I get what's mine.