••storm••

I smile at a picture frame of Nike and I

I smile at a picture frame of Nike and I. This is what I needed to accept that we would never be on the same side again. We would never be back here. I guess I was looking for closure in a way. I never thought that it would affect me this much to get away from my toxic family. It was supposed to be easier. It was supposed to be relieving. I guess I was never really grateful for what I did have.

My smile turns bitter as I take the picture out of the frame and slip it into the cover of my phone. This way, she'll always be by my side.

Sweeping the room with my eyes, I tear my eyes away and grab my backpack from the hook next to me.

It's time to say goodbye.

Walking back to where I'd left the old pickup truck, I curse when I realize it isn't there anymore. Someone must have towed it away. I kick the air. I'm hundreds of miles away from the academy.

I could ask for a pick-up. No one's picking up a seventeen-year-old on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere unless they're asking for trouble.

I grimace, my only option was to walk long enough to get service and call an Uber.

I start along the path I came from, going towards the academy. I think.

As I walk, I try not to think about anything. I've done too much thinking the last few days. Reliving to many old memories. It was time to make new ones. It was time to move on.

After about three miles, I take a break. Sitting on a nearby rock, I study my surroundings. There were redwood trees all around me, for miles and miles. It was peaceful. The forest ground is covered in dry dirt. The weather had been surprisingly warm the last couple of days after the rain.

Probably specially designed to make sure I suffer.

Getting up again, I make it another three miles before taking another break.

After 5 breaks, I finally made it to a small town. Finally. I might be Corporis but even I can't walk 15 miles under the burning sun, with a 25-pound backpack on me and a thick coat around my waist.

Taking my phone out of my jeans, I turn it on, only to face disappointment. No service. Moving the phone around, I make a face when there's no service.

"Well, shit," I say. Walking around the town with my phone in my face, I realize that I look like a teenager in any stereotypical movie. Shaking my head at myself, I pocket my phone. I could just ask someone to let me borrow their cell. If only there was someone around.

Spotting a nearby coffee shop with a "FREE WIFI" sign on it, I jog towards it. I open the door, squinting my eyes slightly at the bell that rings above my head. I could be a Villain, a Hero, and in line for the throne of Heroes but I'll still cringe at those damn bells. They were created with no better purpose than to make sure that whoever enters is the focus of the entire shop. Luckily for me though, the shop was as deserted as the rest of the town.