A Very Special Birthday

March tenth held a special place in Mary's heart since the day she found out that was Bucky's birthday

March tenth held a special place in Mary's heart since the day she found out that was Bucky's birthday. Every year she would do something for him no matter how big or small it was. He would always tell her not to celebrate him. He didn't deserve it, he felt. He hadn't done anything remarkable to be celebrated.

But Mary felt otherwise.

She loved that she had the chance to celebrate her husband, even before they married. Steve was always in on it too. Always distracting Bucky for Mary to plan out what she needed to celebrate.

They were excited when they married to celebrate their birthdays with each other as a couple. But that never happened.

They never had the chance to celebrate Bucky's birthday properly when they had married. They had only been married for two months at that point. Mary had found out she was pregnant after his birthday had passed. And they never even had the chance to celebrate her birthday that year. Or any other year after.

Birthdays became a day of remembering instead of celebrating for Mary after Becca had been taken and her friends were dying as the years progressed without her.

It wasn't until Tony came into her life that birthday's had meaning again. The celebration of her precious godson meant more to her than anything. His parents were often busy on his birthday, but not Mary. She made it a point to make sure she was free that day.

And when Tony grew up and took over Stark Industries. He did the same thing for his godmother. He took the day off and took her out somewhere, sometimes taking his private jet to a place Mary had always wanted to visit and see the historical sites.

He always pointed out the fact that he had found something older than her.

It always made Mary smile.

And then her brother came back, and his birthday became more than Independence Day. She was able to celebrate him again, even though he abhorred his birthday and always wanted to celebrate it either the day before or after the Fourth of July.

And then she got a new family. Her precious Avengers. She would always see them on each of their birthdays. Take them somewhere, or gift them something precious. She wanted to fill the void of not being able to celebrate the one person who needed to be celebrated. Her husband.

Then in 2014, he came back to her in a very unconventional way.

He "killed" her. And Fury too but that's besides the point.

He unintentionally brought their daughter back to her as well.

Mary had the chance to celebrate him again, even though he was on the run with Becca.

The daughter knew her father's birthday. It was the tenth day of the third month. She always would count down the days as a child in anticipation to visit her father's favorite diner and soda shop with her Mother. They would order his favorite food and then afterwards, treat themselves to his favorite ice cream soda.