Training Day

One year after the events of Endgame

Wakanda, Africa
Royal Training Room

When Mary stepped into the training room with her brother and his newest bundle of joy in his arms and Esme following closely behind, she was smiling with anticipation. She was ready to figure out the lengths her powers could go to. To what extent could she heal someone without making herself faint. Could she manipulate more than just herself and sense the souls of those past and present? She could raise the dead. She could bring a soul into living form. There wasn't much information on the Soul Stone to go off of for her and that made it more difficult to find out her limits.

So she set her own limits with what she knew of her new powers.

No more raising the dead if they had been gone for a long time. Winnie was their happy accident and they wouldn't change anything. Tony was someone Mary couldn't live without, she refused to go on living without her son. Her little boy that she watched grow up in the shadow of his father's legacy and made something for himself in spite of it all weighing against him at times.

Steve, Bucky and Mary had long talks deciding if Mary would conjure a soul into living form like she did for Winnie. But they decided that Mary would be a medium instead of a necromancer. Mary wanted to preserve the circle of life on Earth and in the universe.

She could feel her's and Steve's mother's presence every now and again when Mary would feel anxious about her new responsibility. Sarah was with them, truly.

Mary told Steve that she felt their mother periodically and he wanted to talk to her, to see her even if it was just a short while. They needed that closure as a family. Sarah had been taken from them so young, not ready to live their lives without their mother yet. And they never even knew their father really, but they wanted to speak with him as well. To know the man their mother loved until she passed.

So that's what Mary did. She and Steve got their closure.

"My darlings." Sarah's voice filled the sibling's ears and both of them were instantly struck with tears in their eyes. Mary tried to make their mother tangible just for a short moment, and it worked.

Mary and Steve held their mother for the first time since she passed in 1936.
They wept together.

And then they told Sarah everything.

From Sarah's funeral to everything afterwards.

"I see Bucky kept his promise." Sarah said with a smile as she caressed her children's faces with her hands while they sat on the porch of the Barnes family home.

"What promise, Ma?" Mary asks softly. Bucky had never spoken about a promise he made to her mother.

"The one where i asked him to look after you," Sarah says, looking between her children, "both of you." She adds. "I needed assurance that you two would be okay once i left."