Chp. 33: The Rally

Time to start getting ready for the rally. I grab my light blue button down, beige suspenders, hat, and black jeans. I decide to leave my hat off until we get out of the building. I never get to wear my hair down much anymore.

I walk down the stairs and Skittery is the first to notice me.

"Hey Camryn"

"Hey Skid"

"I's like ya hair"

"Thanks" I see David across the room and he looks me up and down then gives me a smile. I walk over to him.

"Hey"

"Hey. Sorry about that I don't know what came over me"

"It's fine" I don't think he hears me.

"It's just your so pretty with your hair down I mean your always pretty but your pretty much a guy but your a pretty guy and~" I put a finger to his lips.

"1, It's fine and 2, stop before you embarrass yourself" He looks down at his shoes and we fall into silence.

"You really think I'm pretty?" I've never really been called pretty by anyone except Spot.

"Well yeah. Your gorgeous" He starts getting nervous and just gives me a glance before looking down again. I get on my tippy toes and kiss him on the cheek.

"Thanks David" I walk away and Race pulls me aside.

"Don't be doin that. Jack will get mad"

"He's not me brudda or anythin"

"No but he's protective of ya"

"I's can handle em"
~~~~
Medda gives us the signal and the 4 of us walk on stage. Me, Jack, David, and Spot. All of the newsies are cheering really loudly. Each borough has a section with a sign saying who they are.

"So we've come a long way. But we ain't there yet" Jack starts off talking.

"Maybe it's only gonna get tougher from now on. But that's fine we'll just get tougher wit it" Us on stage and the newsies start clapping. but then Jack quiets them down again.

"Also we gotta get smart and start listenin ta me pals David and Cam"

"Yeah"

"Wooo"

And various other things are said.

"David says stop soakin the scabs"

"What are we supposed ta do ta the bums, kiss em?" Race says from the audience. I start laughing and Spot elbows me.

"Yo Cam cool it" I roll my eyes at him and I talk to the audience.

"Hey look any scab I see I soak them, period" I raise my fist in the air and the newsies cheer.

"No no no that's what they's want us to do. If we's get violent it's just playing into their hands" David really needs to loosen up.

"Hey look they're gonna be playin wit my hands all right?" Spot walks across the stage to David and gets all up in his face.

"Because it ain't what they say it's what we say. And nobody ain't gonna listen to us unless we make em"

"Yous got no brains. We're startin ta fight eachotha. It's just what the big shots wanna see" I'm pretty sure David brainwashed Jack because the Jack I know wouldn't say that.

"That we're street trash. Street rats wit no brains and no respect for nothin includin ourselves"

"That's bullshit Jack" I walk over to him.