5 | Best friend

I stayed up waiting. I didn’t want to make a mistake and call Lina in the middle of the night that would really suck cause she won’t answer, because her phone will be on silent once the clock strikes twelve.

“Yellow.” The sound if Lina’s sweet voice greeted me.

“Hey Lina.”

“Gia! Girl it’s been a while.”

“Lina, it’s been a day since we last saw each other.” I paused. “I think it’s been a day. Screw time difference.”

“So how has it been there? Is the house big? Have you net your dad? Are your brothers cool?”

I rolled my eyes at the number of questions. “Its okay. Just different from home. The house is okay. I haven’t seen my dad since I’m been here. I’m guessing his avoiding me and about my brother's I’m not sure yet they seem fine so far at least some of them.”

“They can’t be that bad.” I heard Lina sigh on the other side. “Gia, that is your home now you can’t keep comparing your future to your past.—”

“Lina you don’t understand—”

“Gia, this isn’t about me understanding. It’s about your being afraid to except your new family. Gia letting them into your life doesn’t mean you will letting us go or forgetting us. You got a fresh start away from this hell hole use it wisely.” .

“When did you get so wise?” I teased before sighing. “Lina I’m not forgetting about you no matter what happens. I’m not going to do to you what Carlo did to us.”

“You better not. I wouldn’t mind getting my ass all the way to Milan just to kick yours.”

We both shared a laugh. I knew I was us doing this in person. The laughs, the jokes, the eye contact talking. I was going to miss it all.

“Relax Gia. Enjoy the ride. It will be worth in the end. Trust me.”

4:30.

That’s the time I woke up. It’s now 8:30. I’ve been seated in this kitchen since them hoping that someone would come downstairs (my father). But now has its like they are all this sleeping.

Why I woke up at 4:30?

My alarm rang. It was auto set for 4:30 every Sunday. It was something my mum and I did every Sunday. We would wake up super early clean the house then by 7:30 were leaving for church. But right now I’m seated in an empty kitchen alone and hungry.

Alfanso walked into the kitchen but froze when he saw me.

Grabbing a cup he turned and faced me. “What are you doing up so early?”

Smiling up at him deciding to ignore the fact he didn’t greet. “Its Sunday.”  

He frowned. “I know it’s Sunday. Why are you up early?”

“On Sunday’s my mum and I go to church.”

A nodded seeming to understand. “Go up stairs.”

I looked up at him confused.

“Its early you should get some sleep.” As I was about to protest when he stopped me. “We don’t go to church. Go sleep breakfast on a Sunday is at 11am.”

Rolling my eyes at him I grabbed my stuffed and headed back up the stairs.

“So your mum took you to church on Sundays?” Matt asked me as we took our sits at the  ice-cream store.

“Yes. I hated it. But I miss it now.”

“You miss it?”

“Yeah, well, I actually miss her having to drag me there.”

Matt gave me a smile before leaning forward looking behind me. I turned and saw a girl in a really short skirt. I looked at Matt in disbelief.

He shrugged. “What, what does she expat if she’s dressed like that.”

“That men won’t look at her like a piece of meat.”

“Are you trying to tell me that you would dress like that?”

“Yeah. I would.”

“No you won't and I’m sure Adriano would agree with me.”

“My mother would have let me.”

Matt looked around. “Yeah well is she here, cause I don’t see her.”

I glared at him before picking up my ice-cream.