Chapter 5

Out of breath, lungs burning, head hammering, Kion crouched down. "Mom?" He whispered, ears flattened with fear and sadness.

"Kion... I'm sorry to say this... but you were too late," Rafiki croaked, wiping a stray tear from his eye.

Gasps were heard from all around Pride Rock.

"We can't be!" Kion told him determinedly. He nudged his mother, pleading with him to wake up.

"She's gone. I'm so sorry," Rafiki sighed sadly, resting his old hand on the dead lioness's body.

"She's not gone!" Kion growled, trying to force the tears back in his eyes. "She's still there. She has to be!"

Before he could nudge his mother, a furious voice stopped him in his tracks.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! MY MATE IS DEAD BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T GET BACK IN TIME WITH THE ANTIDOTE!" Simba, his abusive adoptive father, screeched.

"I'm so sorry Your Majesty." Kion hung his head in shame, trying to resist the urge to run. "I tried to-"

"It was my fault!" Fuli cut in. "I couldn't run fast enough."

Simba whipped around to glare at Fuli. "Don't blame yourself." The words came out in a harsh tone. "Blame Scar's son."

"Kion tried his very best! His mother died too!"

Roars of protest uproared from the pride.

"He's Scar's son! Why would he even try to save her?!"

"It's not his fault he is!"

"Kick him out!"

"If you won't drove him away already, we will!"

"Right most of you are. Scar's son is no longer welcome in Pride Rock after what he did!" Simba roared, making Kion flinch back.

"But I've got nowhere to go!"

"Tell someone who cares," Simba snapped. "Out. NOW!"

"But my mom-"

He was met with claws, painful claws. 

Fuli's soul flared with outrage and she quickly stood over Kion protectively while he recovered himself. "You hurt your mate's cub!"

"He's not my cub," Simba growled.

Fuli looked down at Kion, pondering. Is this a battle to fight? However, looking at Kion's weakened and emotionally overwhelmed state, she decided. No. I have to get him somewhere safe first.

She quickly herded him outside and away from his father, praying Simba wasn't following, and started trotting at Kion's speed. "Hurry. Lets go before he comes after you."

"G-go where?" Kion quickly trotted after her.

"My den. It's safe there." 

And so they kept walking through the pouring rain. Their fur was drenched and they shivered.

"Here it is," Fuli finally said and brushed aside some bracken, leading to a hole in a small clearing. 

Kion didn't reply, just nodded a 'thank you' as he shook the water from his coat.

"Ugh, couldn't you have done that a little more away from me?" Fuli groaned and raised a paw dramatically as water droplets hit her already damp fur.