Prologue

"Can you let my friend Ono complete the journey to the Tree of Life? He wasn't part of the earlier fight. And his eyes are hurt."

Rani looked at the sightless bird. "Oh. Of course we will welcome Ono to the Tree of Life," she told Kion. "Sadly, I'm afraid it's just too dangerous to the kingdom to let you in."

Nirmala nodded. "As much as we'd love to help you, the safety of our kingdom and subjects must come first."

Kion looked down at the ground. "I understand," he croaked, his voice breaking. Surak gave him a sympathetic glance and rested his paw on Kion's shoulder for a few moments. 

"However, putting your friend's needs before your own is true friendship. Never forget that," Surak told him.

Ono looked back at Kion. "Thank you," he said. "You're a great friend."

"Now, I'm sorry I have to say this," Rani began, "but please go a safe enough distance from the Tree of Life. We'll let you know when Ono's healed."

"O-okay." Kion started to trudge in the other direction, head and tail hung low. How could this happen...? I came all this way, just to fail.

"I'm really sorry Kion," Fuli said. Her and the rest of the Guard -save for Ono- were following.

"Don't be." Kion looked down at the ground, sighing. "It's my fault. I ruined it..."

Fuli opened her mouth to protest but didn't. It was obvious she knew it was true.

"We should find somewhere to stay for the night," he croaked, almost too quiet to hear.

Fuli rested her the tip of her tail on his shoulder. "Yeah."

"Don't worry, Kion!" Beshte said, trying to be optimistic. 

"Yeah Beshte, you're so right. Besides what's the worst that could happen?" Bunga said sarcastically.

Kion looked down and whimpered.

"Bunga!" Fuli hissed.

"What I'm trying to say," Beshte intervened, "is that you shouldn't worry too much and in the end, everything's gonna turn out okay."

Anga didn't say aynthing, just a small nod.

Fuli looked up at the eagle. "Anga, can you find us somewhere to stay for the night?"

Anga nodded and flew up to the sky, scanning it with her sky blue eyes. "There's a den not far from here. Looks abandoned. Big enough to fit all of us."

"We'll go there," Fuli said.

Anga nodded. They all walked -while Anga flew- to the nearby abandoned den, farther away from the Tree but still a 'safe' distance.

They all settled down inside, each finding their own sleeping spots in different areas of the large den, all gathering and tucking soft objects  like leaves, feathers, moss, and more under them.

All except for Kion. What difference would it make to have something soft to sleep on? Not like he was going to sleep anyway - his scar hurt too much. He sighed and laid his head down. "Why...?" He whimpered to himself. "Why did it have to be this way..."

He raised a paw to rub the horrible feeling in his eye. He couldn't describe it, but it felt horrible. It was like... a mix between a sharp sting, a hard pinch, something stabbing into him... Occasionally it throbbed and made him so dizzy he wanted to regurgitate. A lot of times the scar seemed to effect his whole body, rather than just his eye.

Anger rose inside of him. Does the Night Pride have ANY sympathy?! Why did they reject me?! Their whole JOB is to HELP animals IN NEED OF HELP! And I am one of those animals! Ugh, everything's so unfair! Life is so unfair...