Chapter 53: Ultron's final stand

Start from the beginning

But as she sat in her cell, contemplating her fate, Natasha heard someone calling out her name. But as they continued to call out her name, Natasha ran to the front of her cell desperate to see if she was going mad or if someone had actually got the message she sent out.

"Natasha! Natasha!" Bruce called out as he made his way through the maze that was Ultron's base.

"Bruce?" he heard Natasha call from a cell in the far end of the room.

"You alright?" he asked her as he walked over to his cell.

"Yeah."

"The teams in the city, it's about to light up," Bruce told the former assassin that was locked in the cell.

"I don't suppose you found a key lying around somewhere," Natasha asked, her usual façade falling back into place.

"Yeah, I did," Bruce told her, holding up a rifle that he had found.

Natasha took a step back as Bruce lifted the rifle and blasted the door to the cell open, letting Natasha out.

"So, what's our play?" Natasha asked as she walked over to Bruce's side.

"I'm here to get you to safety," Bruce told her simply, trying to hide his feelings for the assassin. Bruce knew that she and Loki had feelings for each other and would never dream of standing in their way, but it didn't stop him from falling in love with the redhead.

"Jobs not finished," Natasha told him simply, more than ready for a fight.

"We could help with the evacuation, but I can't be in a fight near civilians. And you've done plenty. Our fight is over," Bruce told her, wanting to keep her away from danger.

"I'm not gonna just disappear, the team needs us," Natasha told him, getting ready to walk out of the base.

"The team needs you or Loki needs you," Bruce snapped, kicking himself for slipping up.

"They all do. I'm not gonna sit by and watch them risk their lives while I do nothing. I can understand how you feel, Bruce. You and the Hulk don't always get along. But there is still so much you can do as Bruce Banner," Natasha told him, praying that he would come along. The Avengers needed Bruce Banner more than he would ever know.

"Okay, let's go," Bruce said, giving in to her.

As the two Avengers made their way through Ultron's base the ground started to shake and was getting stronger by the second. They both paused next to a crater in the ground as they waited for a particularly strong quake to end.

"We gotta move," Bruce told her when the ground finally stopped shaking, sounding worried.

"You're not going to turn green?" Natasha asked him, for the first time wishing the Hulk would make an appearance.

"I've got a compelling reason not to lose my cool," Bruce said, looking Natasha in the eye. It never ceased to amazing him how she was one of the most dangerous and highly trained assassins who could read most people like a book but could never see how he felt about her.

 It never ceased to amazing him how she was one of the most dangerous and highly trained assassins who could read most people like a book but could never see how he felt about her