44

February 23, 2012

Stevie had her hair straight down to her hips, and she was dressed in a purple-y gray oversized blouse that surprisingly showed off her bump but also fell off her shoulders, and even though it was a maternity shirt she decided that it was going to become a staple shirt in her wardrobe even after this baby was born. Because ti was cute, and style-able, she could wear it with a skirt, or sweatpants, leggings, or jeans like she was wearing now. She was squatting down on the floor with Logan and they were picking out floor samples for the potential attic when she heard Tom direct the homeowners up to her in the attic.

"You are a brave soul squatting down like that while pregnant. I could not even attempt that when I was pregnant." Jennifer shakes her head.

"Yes well It's my third pregnancy so I'm used to being down like this while pregnant. I didn't stop working for any of them." Stevie shakes her head

"And whose this little guy?" Vince asks holding his hand out for her and she gratefully grabs it and he pulls her up. 

She fixes her oversized shirt briefly and then she pulls Logan into her hip.

"This is my son Logan. He's six and there was a half a day today. His older brother went to a friends house so he gets to come help Mama at work. Can you say Hi Logan?" She asks.

He was shy so even though he had practically buried his head in her hip he waved to them.

"So what's going on with the house. I didn't see any work being done in my kitchen." Jennifer looks at her.

"That's what we're here to talk about. Basically I'd like you to make a decision between two important things. Two bedrooms up here or your kitchen. I can't do both." 

"I think the kitchen is important because that's really the heart of the home." Jennifer shrugs.

"Okay so if I can give you just one big bedroom and bathroom up here and your kitchen what do you think about that? That way you could get the four girls into separate rooms. " 

"The four girls love it together though." Vince rubs the back of his neck.

"Okay, so do you two have any ideas. I want to use the space up here because it's here, it's insulated, it has a window so I can make it a legal room to the house." 

"We would like a separate teen space." Jennifer looks at her. 

"Logan, go get mom that big sheet of paper over there." Stevie states pulled her pencil out of her backpocket.

"What are you formulating?" Vince inquires. 

She lays the paper out on the floor after Logan brings it to her and she gets back down on the floor, but instead of squatting she goes on all fours and the homeowners join her down there.

"I can make this dormerered part with the window one bedroom, so one of the teens can move up here...which'll free up a room for Michael. I can put a bathroom right here, and then I can leave this space open to create a teen space." Stevie draws it all out while she's talking.

"Perfect." Jennifer smiles as Stevie falls back on her haunches.

"Okay then so now I have plan but I hope you understand now, that I'm done...I have NO more money for anything else." She shakes her head.

"Not the master bathroom?" 

"No, I just can't afford it." She shakes her head.

"Oh, well that's a problem." Vince sighs.

"I'm sorry but it is what it is." Stevie shrugs. 

***

March 2, 2012