20

Lindsey was worried, but he wasn't worried at the same time. He was worried because she was refusing pain meds and she had tears streaming down her face but she wasn't screaming she was just breathing. They had gotten to Stevie's building around noon and they arrived at the hospital around one. It was currently going on ten at night. Her water broke around seven but when she was checked about three and a half hours ago she was at seven.

"Lindsey." She whimpers.

"What's up baby?" Lindsey asks.

"Hold me." She begs. He had been sitting by her head kissing her and soothing her but she yelled at him because he was crowding her so now he was sitting on the couch where he'd be sleeping for the next three days reading.

"Okay? What's the matter?" Lindsey asks crawling in the bed with her and wrapping his arms around her.

"I can't...stop...shaking." She sniffles rolling over and throwing her right leg over his legs opening up her pelvis slightly and moaning out in slight relief. 

"Are you cold?" Lindsey asks.

"So cold." She nods. He just gets under the blankets with her and holds her tightly to try and transfer some warmth to her. 

"You're doing great baby." Lindsey coos kissing her forehead and she nods sniffling.

"I'm trying to stay calm but I'm in so much pain." She whimpers.

"You're so strong. It's going to be worth it in the end." He tells her.

"I'm getting antsy because I want to meet him so bad-OOOOH!." She says taking in a shaky breath and closing her eyes biting into Lindsey's shoulder.

"I've got you." He coos applying counter pressure to her back. 

She lets out a long breath when the contraction passes and then she sniffles looking up at Lindsey.

"I was going to say I want to meet him so badly to see what he's going to be li-agh god." She starts baring down. 

"Are you pushing?" Lindsey asks her a stunned expression on his face.

"Not purposely." She grits out.

"Okay, I'm going to get a nurse." Lindsey crawls out of bed and she reaches out for him. He just sighs and crawls back in bed with her and repeatedly presses the nurse button.

It wasn't long before a nurse came running in.

"What is the matter?" 

"She's pushing." Lindsey gulps.

"What?" The nurse asks quickly rushing to the bottom of the bed and going between her open legs. 

Stevie screams when the nurse inserts her fingers and it was a loud ear piercing scream. "STOP STOP STOP STOP!" 

The nurse removes her hand and gives a disappointed look before grabbing her pager and pressing a button. 

"You need to stop pushing." The nurse scowls.

"NO!" Stevie screams bearing down again.

"Does she need to stop because she's not ready?" Lindsey asks.

"No she's ten centimeters she's not allowed to push without a midwife or a doctor here." She states.

"FUCK THAT!" Stevie screams pushing again. At this point she was still on her side but she had her legs in a triangle 

"That's bullshit, if she needs to push she needs to push." Lindsey growls taking her hand and Stevie mouths thank you before she continues pushing again. 

***

Stevie had been pushing for an hour and a half. She started on her side then she moved to her back, then she was squatting, then she was on her hands and knees-that was when her hospital gown was unceremoniously thrown off onto the floor- but she eventually made it back to her back which is where the baby started crowning.

"OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!" She screams.

"Good girl. Good Girl." The nurse holding her right leg cooed. 

"I can see his head Angel he's got dark hair Steph." Lindsey sniffles kissing her head.

She screams again and then a baby is brought up to her stomach and her eyes snapped open and her hands fell to the baby rubbing and stimulating him until a loud cry came out of his mouth and then she laughs pulling him up to her chest. 

"It's a boy, September 27, 2003. 1:45 AM." 

"Hey sweet boy, oh hi. You are so loved baby." Stevie speaks to him as Lindsey is handed the scissors to cut the cord. "You look so much liked your daddy. Yeah you do." 

"Hey son." Lindsey sniffles going up by Stevie's head to see the baby himself after he's cut the cord. He worms his finger underneath the baby's fingers and his little head practically turns to where Lindsey is and Lindsey chuckles lightly.

"I love you Lindsey." Stevie looks up at him.

"I love you too." Lindsey kisses her head.

"What are we naming him?" Stevie asks.

"What do you want to name him?" Lindsey inquires. 

"Jamie. I want to name him Jaime but the masculine spelling. J-A-I-M-E. We can call him Jay." Stevie whispers.

"No, you'll never call him Jay, he's always going to be Jaime." Lindsey nuzzles her head.

"You like his name?" Stevie looks up at him with hopeful eyes.

"I think Jaime Michael Buckingham would be a great name for him. That is, if you like the middle name Michael." Lindsey shrugs. 

"I love it, Thank you Lindsey." She soothes.

"Of course, but you're still shaking so why don't you let me and the nurses take him to get a weight and run his tests and they can get you cleaned up and warm under the blankets?" Lindsey suggests.

"You'll go with him?" 

"I'll go with him." Lindsey nods kissing her head as the pediatrician takes the baby from Stevie who starts crying again as soon as he's taken from his mother's arms. 

"Bring him back to me soon," Stevie whimpers wanting to take her son into her arms and cuddle him closely to comfort the crying infant. 

Lindsey nods and follows the nurses. They don't leave the room but he screams through all of his newborn vaccines and the heel prick test and the weighing but Lindsey's right there holding his little hand to try and offer some form of comfort.

"Well Daddy, he's six pounds nine ounces and twenty inches long.

"You're a perfect little boy are't you." Lindsey coos bending down and kissing his little head.