Chapter 3

"Why did they have to cut you down?" I whispered to the finished painting in front of me. The trees in here are still alive, and just by looking at it, I could almost breathe in the fresh air they used to provide the road and the people who passed by.

All that sacrifice just for road widening, and a lot of trees are also being cut for humans to consume. Is it really necessary for one to die just so another could live?

Well, if all trees really die, we couldn't even live, like literally.

May lungkot sa puso ko habang pinapatungan ko na ng isolation coat ang katatapos lang na painting. It's hard to say goodbye to memories of the last time I did something when I had no idea it was going to be the last time.

If I had known it was going to be the last time that I could open the window of our car just to feel the fresh air, I would have cherished it already. I would have said goodbye.

Only if I had known.

Perhaps this would have been easier then.

I was applying the acrylic resin varnish for the final coating when I heard knocks on my studio's door. My studio is in the attic which used to be a storage room, we just had it renovated when I got back home from Germany, bringing my Dada's hobby with me.

Ang kwarto lang naman ni Mama ang pinakamalapit sa studio kaya akala ko'y siya ang kumakatok. "Pasok, Mama. Nakabukas 'yan."

"Ang kalat naman dito, Arthemisia!"

Napatalon ako mula sa stool ko nang marinig ang boses ni Ate Sydney. "Goodness! You scared me!" sabi ko, hawak ang dibdib ko na mabilis ang pagtaas-baba dahil sa gulat.

"My head hurts just by looking at your place."

"It's not makalat. Makulay lang dahil sa mga paint na nakikita mo. Also, this place is meant to be used and to be abused! This is where I craft, you know."

I think my studio is really pretty. I love it.

She opened the curtains made of canvas material. I painted my curtains as well, and they look beautiful.

That's why I seldomly open them to look at the window. The paintings on it are enough for me to look at.

My curtain is already a view just by itself.

"You should get some fresh air in here. Hindi pwedeng aircon palagi. Nakukulob ang amoy ng pintura at malalanghap mo."

Napatingin siya sa shelf ko na mayroong mga spray cans, "See, you even use spray paint! Imagine the fumes!"

"I only use them from time to time. You know I like the brushes better. For the details and stuff." pagpapaliwanag ko habang sinusundan ng tingin ang kapatid ko.

Ate Sydney did what she just said and the wind from outside made its way inside my studio.

"What do you want, Ate? You never come here."

She smiled sweetly at me. "May kailangan ka 'no?" tanong ko dahil alam na alam ko na iyan. Gawain ko rin kasi 'yan.

"I have a quiz tomorrow. An important one."

I have no idea how I'm supposed to help her with that.

"... and?"

"Our coffee maker broke down. Can you please buy me coffee at the nearest coffee shop? Kaunting lakad lang, Missy. Just outside the subdivision."

I like the idea, but I remembered Mama and how worried she was the last time I wasn't where she left me. "What about Mama? She'll come looking for me."