thirty one

I grabbed my text book out of my locker, questioning why Karl hadn't arrived yet, we had class in two minutes. I suddenly felt someone tap on my shoulder and I turned to find Ian behind me,
"Wanna walk me to english again..?" He raised an eyebrow, I nodded, "Yeah sure, but-"
I suddenly lost my train of thought as I noticed Karl walk towards me..he was wearing black dickies pants and a white vans t shirt, over it was a black levis jean jacket..my jaw practically dropped, causing Ian to glance at Karl. Karl smiled at me as he stepped up to the both of us, "Hey.."
"Karl...what're you wearing..?" I asked as I gazed into his eyes, "Wanted to try something new.." He grinned, Ian looked back at me, "So did you wanna walk?"
"Maybe tomorrow, I need to discuss with Karl.." I told Ian, causing him to walk away.
"Do you like it?" Karl adjusted his jean jacket and I stood there confused, but slightly amazed,
"Where the hell is the old man fashion?"
"Traded it in just for today, besides I thought you liked this kind of style?" Karl raised an eyebrow at me, the bell for class then rang.
"I like old man Karl way better, but this does look good on you..Dont change though..I like my Karl." I kissed his cheek and I began walking to class, Karl followed behind me his hand held up to his cheek.

**

I woke up in the crappy motel bed with back pain, Karl wasn't in bed with me, I yawned as I rolled to his side of the bed. Suddenly I heard the door open,
"Riri, time to wake up, we have lots of road left.." Karl's voice made a smile creep onto my face, I didn't move pretending to still be sound asleep.
I felt the bed dip and I felt Karl brush my hair behind my ear, his thumb brushed my cheek lightly, I tried hard to keep my smile from showing. He then slowly patted me, softly, I opened my eyes slowly and smiled at him, he immediately sent me a smile back, "I got us monsters. You gotta get up Ri."
"Im getting up. Do you wanna just send it? Let's just take turns sleeping or something and do it all in one shot.." I sat up slowly, thinking about the 14 hour drive left. Karl nodded, "Okay, i'll start. Ill do 7 hours and then you do seven..?"
"Deal. And if we get tired we can just do shorter trades. Are you ready..?" I jumped up, Karl raised his eyebrows at me with a small smile, "You seem like you are."
I hopped off the bed, "Of course I am..I wanna see those pretty palm trees..Sweater weather on the beach, Karl. Let's go!" I grinned and grabbed my bag. "Like that..?" Karl looked down at my outfit and I did too, "What's wrong with sweatpants and my enderman shirt.." I pouted, he chuckled,
"Not so much L.A.." I rolled my eyes,
"Come on, let's go get them the key." I stepped outside and the bright sun hit my face.

Seven a.m, thats when we got on the road, with 14 hours to go, it's now twelve p.m, meaning Karl had two hours left until it was my turn. This whole car ride instead of listening to music, we talked, talked about a lot, everything we used to do, the things we enjoyed, and I mainly just watched him as he drove, occasionally he gazed back at me, as much as a person whose driving could. I watched as his fluffy hair blew against the wind, his eyes focused on what's in front of him, "Do you remember Ian..?" Karl asked me and I rolled my eyes, "Oh my god.."
"You totally had the biggest crush on him.." Karl added shooting me a grin, "And he was gay!"
"Hey! You were jealous I liked his style and came in dressing like him.." I said defensively, Karl laughed, "Oh god I did...That was bold of grade eleven Karl, you have to give me it.." Karl smiled widely at me and I chuckled with him, "Yes, it was, but I always knew I liked old man Karl better, god, your style has only improved, you always look soooo good, a gilf as I could say.." I shut my eyes as I pictured Karl in his outfits, Karl didn't reply and I opened my eyes to a pink cheeked Karl, a small smile on his face, "Im glad you like my swag..WAIT A MINUTE A GIFL?"Karl then chuckled, "IM KIDDING!" I slapped his arm playfully and we both laughed together.

This time I was driving, Karl was scrolling through his playlist as I got back onto the highway, he was searching for a specific song, said it would bring back a lot of good memories, I was honestly at a loss, something that would bring back memories..?
What song could he be talking about..
Suddenly Karl shot me a wide smile as he shut his phone off, I waited for the music to play, I listened very closely.

Sorry I didn't kiss you..
but it's obvious I wanted to..
Bubble gum down my throat and its a curse,
but my luck couldn't get any worse
Cause I swallowed the bubble gum,
oh and these seven years will be pretty dumb,
pink flowers grow from my skin,
pep-to bismol veins, and I grin..

You look so nice in your shirt,
It's sad because it just hurts..
i'd do anything for you,
but would you do that for me too?
cause I swallowed the bubble gum
Oh and these seven years will be pretty dumb,
pink flowers grow from my skin, oh
pep-to Bismol viens, and I grin.

I turned to Karl with a loss for words, as if our friendship flashed before my eyes, I used to listen to this song even after he would go home, because it was always exactly how I felt when he didn't kiss me.
Karl shot me a corner smile and I felt my heart skip a beat.