Chapter Twenty- Papers and Breaks

Start from the beginning

"If that's what you want," Harry says standing up, he won't push him any farther.

"I think it might best if we put things on pause for a bit as well."

"What do you mean?" Harry furrows his eyebrows tightly. His heart clenching tightly.

"I just think we should go on a break for right now, I think it would be best for both of us," Draco says his lip slightly trembling and his eyes tightly shut as not to let any tears fall.

Harry swallows roughly, his eyes glancing at the blond sitting so closed off. He blinks quickly, his eyes welling up with tears. It's not a breakup, it's not a breakup, he tells himself.

"If that's what you think is best," Harry says swallowing roughly once more. "I-I'll just head out now."

Draco hears the rough edge to Harry's voice and closes his eyes tighter waiting for the crack of apparation. He listens as the sound echoes around the apartment before opening his eyes, he couldn't look at him, he knows he would have crumbled.

He opens his eyes and stares at the spot Harry was just standing, all of the cruel words flooding back and the tears he so desperately wanted to spill are now cascading down his cheeks. The stereo and the rain now pouring outside seem to finally match his mood.

"There's nothing but the rain. No footsteps on the ground," The stereo plays as Draco gasps into his hands. His body shaking slightly as uncontrollable sobs seem to erupt from his chest. He cries into his hands, the sound echoing around the living room as he stutters a breath into his lungs. It's not an official breakup, but it might as well be as final as that felt.

He shouldn't have convinced himself that everything would just be all sunshine and rainbows. He knows that it's supposed to hurt, but not this much. He doesn't deserve this, he knows that much himself. He can't call Pansy or even Hermione, god, he really wants to talk to Hermione right now. But, that's probably where Harry went and that's his friend first. He can't talk to Pansy because she would be just as panicked as him. He can't talk to Blaise for the same reason.

He digs his phone out of his pocket and clicks on Hermione's contact. He really needs someone to talk to, even though she was Harry's friend first, Hermione is his best friend too.

He clicks on her name, if Harry is there he can spare his friend for a few hours. He takes a few deep breaths, listening to the dial tone as his hands shake.

"Hey Draco! How are you feeling?" Hermione's chipper voice sounds over the phone, he feels bad he's going to ruin her good mood.

"H-Hermione," Draco coughs a little as his chest spasms trying to control his sobs. "C-Can you come over? I just need someone to t-talk to."

"Yeah, of course. I'll be right there," He hears Hermione rustling a few things around and he takes another deep breath. "I'm going to apparate over, I'll be there in a second okay?"

"Mhm," Draco says quietly hearing the crack of apparation over the phone and then echoing in his living room. He ends the call letting his phone fall to the floor. Hermione rushes over, throwing her beaded bag on the love seat and making a b-line towards the blond.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't want to disrupt your day, I just really needed someone to talk to and I didn't know who else to call," Draco says his eyes swimming with tears and his voice shaking.

"Don't apologize, I'll always be here for you," Hermione says resting her hand on his shoulder tenderly. Draco nods his head, his breathing still stuttered and sounding slightly hysteric. Hermione throws her arms over him and Draco buries his face into her shoulder, letting her gently pet his hair and hold him as more tears pour out of his eyes. He hiccups and sobs onto her shoulder as she just holds him tightly.