eight

Three days.

Three days had passed since Minho last saw Jisung at the cafe and he knew it was dumb to count the number of days but he couldn't help it seeing as how Jisung hadn't even dropped him any sort of note or text to tell him about his day.

He was well aware of the fact that Jisung used to not play a role in his daily routine but ever since he first started appearing before him, he hated the fact that he had seamlessly integrated himself into his world only to suddenly leave it — what was the point in showing yourself when you would just suddenly disappear?

And so, as the day went on, Minho remained emotionless, his dark clothes matching his gloomy facial expression as he took orders and payments from customers.

He felt like an idiot (or more accurately, an absolute moron with a grand total of half a functioning brain cell).

He didn't know what it was that possessed him to believe that Jisung would always visit the cafe but whatever it was, he wanted to throw it off a cliff.

Nodding goodbye to Felix who was closing the shop that day, Minho took off his cap and ran his hands through his fingers only to stop when he saw a familiar blue haired boy leaning on a lamppost outside the cafe, waving at him.

He wasn't sure if it was all in his head but regardless of that fact, he hurriedly grabbed his bag and walked outside, Jisung walking towards him as he did so.

"Hi!" He greeted, smiling at Minho.

I missed you.

"We're already closed," Minho said, trying to maintain his blank expression, stopping those three words from escaping through his lips. "If you wanted cake-"

"I just wanted to see you!" Jisung smiled, rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet, acting as though he didn't disappear without a trace for three whole days. "A-are you upset?"

Yes.

"No. Why would I be? Life goes on whether or not you're there studying in the cafe." For a fraction of a second, Minho noticed that Jisung's smile faltered and in that second, he felt a pang of guilt hit him. But, he feared that if he acted upon it, it would make the next time he left even more draining for him and so, he chose to remain selfish, continuing to stare blankly at the boy before him.

Jisung plastered on his smile again. "That's understandable! I completely get it!" Minho could tell that he was forcing himself to sound enthusiastic, his voice trembling ever so slightly as he tried to avoid eye contact. Minho wanted to apologise but he couldn't bring himself to, pride and an odd sense of anger restricting him from doing so. "Well, I missed seeing you so I dropped by! Which way are you going?" 

"Why? Are you going to follow me?" Jisung nodded, pulling on his backpack straps. Minho felt his heart skip a beat, his simple action enough to unintentionally catch Minho off guard. "That's unnecessary," he whispered, nevertheless walking slowly to allow Jisung time to process and catch up with him.

As they walked, silence took over them but to Minho, it felt comfortable. He never really minded silences, he himself not having the energy to speak most of the time. But, despite that, some silences felt overwhelming, almost judgemental and those silences made him want to scream into the nothingness.

But this, this silence, he could live with.

He didn't know why Jisung had suddenly wanted to go back with him but he didn't want to complain (seeing as how he knew deep down that he missed him too).

"The moon's so pretty today," Jisung remarked, his voice gently breaking the silence. "Reminds me of you!"

"What does?" Minho asked, averting his gaze at anything else other than Jisung, afraid that Jisung could tell that he felt embarrassed by the sudden compliment.

"The moon! You're both cool and calm yet so effortlessly pretty and charming that people can't help but admire you, even if it is from a far," Jisung paused, glancing at Minho who was staring at the ground as they walked. "I always preferred the moon over the sun."

"Why're you telling me all this?" Minho asked, watching how his feet moved in the same rhythm as his heartbeat. "You disappeared for three days so-"

"You were counting?" Jisung laughed and Minho felt his cheeks warming up and thanked god he was wearing his mask. "I was counting too!" Minho looked at Jisung, the blue haired boy now wearing a soft smile on his face and in the moonlight, he no longer looked as bright as the sun yet the warmth he radiated remained constant. "I really like being in your presence," Jisung said, pulling on his jacket sleeves. "Is that weird?"

I like your presence too.

"I like your presence too." The words left his mouth before he could catch himself, shocking both him and Jisung. But, since he had already slipped up, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I was worried that something happened to you and I know that's weird seeing as how we barely know each other but I really wondered where you went-"

Jisung put his forehead on Minho's shoulder, both boys immediately being surrounded by silence once again. He was so close to Minho that he could feel his breath against his neck, Jisung warming him up unintentionally but he didn't mind.

"You remind me of the moon," Jisung whispered, still leaning on Minho. "I really like the moon."

And, in that moment, it felt like the whole world had been put on pause, every thing around them slowly disappearing, leaving behind only them and them alone.

"I-I don't want to go home," Jisung murmured, shuffling closer to Minho.

Minho didn't know what possessed him but soon, he found himself in a taxi with the blue haired boy leaning on his shoulder, sleeping peacefully as they made their way back to his apartment.

He didn't move, afraid that he would wake Jisung up but, whenever there was a sudden stop, he'd subconsciously hold him closer, a touch so gentle yet protective.

And when they arrived, he didn't ask why he refused to go back, thinking to himself that some demons shouldn't be brought up. Instead, he found himself giving Jisung comfortable clothes to wear, as if compelled by some exterior force.

When the night progressed, Minho found himself staring at the boy before him, the gap between them slowly disappearing and eventually, he too fell asleep, Han Jisung right beside him.

࿐ ࿔*:・゚

[a/n: sorry for the late update! i was having serious writer's block 😔 (and it clearly shows in this chapter sigh)]