four

Minho found himself staring blankly at the ceiling, his thoughts wandering off to a certain blue haired squirrel looking boy and, with a groan, Minho got up again and glared at the post-its he had left on his bedside table.

He glanced at the tiny drawings that the boy had continuously drawn for him in what Minho saw as an attempt to befriend him (and he would be lying if he said it wasn't an effective tactic).

He ran his hands through his hair and frowned, picking up one of the notes as he reread them for the nth time, each time never failing to make him smile.

He hated it.

He hated the power such simple words written on pastel coloured paper had over his emotions. He hated how Jisung kept coming back with such a bright smile despite his cold demeanour. He hated how Jisung seemed to get along with even his coworker more than he could ever do so. He hated how Jisung always ordered the same cake, the same drink and sat in the same place every single day, studying there till closing hours. But, the thing that he hated the most was the fact that maybe, just maybe, he didn't hate anything about Jisung.

But that thought scared him - if he didn't hate him, what did he feel towards him?

He slammed the notes back onto the table, placing his head in his hands as he let a frustrated sigh escape.

"Han Jisung..." he whispered, his face still in his palms as his mind began recalling the boys' bright smile and his focused face when he studied, the whole world seemingly becoming nonexistent to him when he began reading. "What are you doing to me?"

Before he could dwell further, he heard his phone ringing and instinctively picked up, not even bothering to look at the caller id before he spoke. "Hello?"

"Um...I realise this is a bit odd but I got your number from Felix!" Minho sat up straight at the sound of his voice, the familiarity of it sending an unfamiliar warmth through him and making his heart beat ever so slightly faster. "It's Jisung by the way! You know... The boy from the cafe!"

How could I not know? Those words almost left Minho's lips but he quickly refrained himself, instead biting on his lower lip as he thought of something he could say that was still in character for him.

"Why'd you call?"

"Oh! Actually, there was no reason really. Felix just told me that sometimes you couldn't sleep so you came in all grumpy in the morning so I just-"

"Are you checking up on me?" Minho asked, hurriedly building up a wall between them before Jisung could break him down further.

He didn't need nor want anyone to look after him. He never wanted to place any sort of trust onto others because trust promoted dependency and he hated that word, that feeling, with all his heart.

He didn't want to depend on anyone else but himself so who on earth did Jisung think he was with his kind words and sweet actions?

Don't fall for it.

Those four words kept repeating in Minho's mind as he tried his best to let those words sink in.

"I guess I am checking in on you! D-Do you mind?"

No.

"Yes, I do. Who calls someone at 1am? What would you have done if I was already asleep?" He shot him down with questions, hoping that maybe he would back off then and leave him as he was before he ever stepped into the damn cafe.

He was met with silence, the other side of the line becoming nothing but emptiness and he felt that unfamiliar warmth leave him as quickly as it came, sending a chill down his spine as he grabbed his blanket and wrapped himself in it.

Then he heard some noises, his ears perking up at the sound. "Sorry! My roommate came in so I had to mute the call! And, to answer you, if you were asleep, I would've just left a voice message and about calling at 1am, it was to check if you were asleep! I hope I didn't wake you up by doing so but you sound perfectly awake to me. Anyways, my roommate is telling me to go to sleep so I'll go now okay? I hope you can sleep soon waiter boy-"

"Minho."

"What?"

Minho sighed, still pressing the phone against his ear, listening to Jisung's voice up close. "My name's Minho," he said, receiving a gasp from the other side of the line.

"Minho...I'll remember that!" For some reason, Minho could visualise Jisung nodding and writing his name down on a piece of paper as though he were afraid to lose his name and that thought alone was enough to bring the warmth back into his otherwise freezing room. "Well, goodnight then Minho! I hope you sleep well," Jisung whispered, hanging up before Minho could even reply.

Minho stared at the unknown number on his phone screen and, after some deliberation, he quickly keyed it into his phone under the contact "han jisung".

He laid back down on his bed and stared at the ceiling once more, wondering if Jisung had saved his number too.

"Stop thinking about him," he grumbled, taking his pillow and placing it over his head in an attempt to erase any thoughts about Jisung.

He had never been one to spend the night thinking about anyone apart from himself (since he firmly believed in the notion of every man for himself) so he couldn't comprehend why Han Jisung took up all the space in his mind.

He took a few deep breaths as he kept his eyes closed, desperately trying to force sleep so as to erase his thoughts of Jisung.

But, as he slowly fell into deep slumber, thoughts of the blue haired boy never once left his mind.