Feeling ignored

•Maya

I ran around the office today going back and forth to meetings. I barely had time to sit down and answer my phone during lunch when Lucas called.

"Hey babe," I said quickly.

"Hi. What do you want me to make for dinner tonight?" Lucas asked.

"I have to work late tonight so you can make whatever you want."

"Your not gonna be here again."

"I'm sorry."

"Okay. I have to go."

"I love you."

"Yeah you too," Lucas said before hanging up.

-

"Your home," Lucas voice echoed.

Lately my job had been keeping me late and I wasn't able to make it home to have dinner with Lucas. He insisted that it didn't bug him so I stayed late to finish my work.

I peeled off my coat and purse before hanging them up and walking over to the fridge.

"Why are you still up? You have to work tomorrow and it's almost midnight," I asked.

"A better question might be where have you been?" Lucas scoffed.

"I was at work."

"No. Where have you been all week?"

"Woking like I told you."

"Maya you leave before I get up and then you come home after I'm already asleep. Why are you ignoring me?"

It wasn't like I was trying to ignore Lucas. My job payed double overtime and living in New York was not cheap.

"I'm not ignoring you," I argued, "I've just been working overtime to get a little extra money for us."

"You don't have to do it every night. And why can't you wake me up before you go so we can have breakfast together."

I stayed quiet and listened to what Lucas was telling me.

"I don't want to turn into those couples who never see each other and are only together for their kids."

"Lucas we don't have kids."

"Okay then I don't want to be those couples that our only together for their pet fish."

I walked over to Lucas and grabbed his hand.

"I'm sorry that I've been busy at the office lately. I will tell Ally that I can't stay late tomorrow," I reassured him.

"I've been wanting to tell you that you don't have to stay late anymore for overtime," Lucas smirked.

"And why is that?"

"I got promoted! And I get to pick my hours and everything!"

A huge grin overcame both of our faces before Lucas wrapped his arms around me.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked.

Lucas gave me the "really look."

"Oh right," I laughed.

-

Send me a message with ideas you want turned into one shots.