Prologue

The Cause

Everything seemed too bright. Too loud, too busy, and too much for Izuku, whose whole world had come crashing down within ten minutes.

Todoroki had only just left him to think over the story that he'd told Izuku, but Izuku didn't know what to think.

He had always looked up to Endeavor, despite his less-than-preferable ways of handling the general public and villains. The number two Pro-Hero was the reason why he hadn't feared getting a possible fire quirk when he was younger.

But, with Todoroki Shoto's confession - could it even be called that? - to Izuku, disgust pooled in his gut.

Even if he'd never gotten his father's fire quirk, Izuku hated himself for placing the number two Pro-Hero on such a pedestal that actually allowed little four-year-old him to actually look forward to getting a fire quirk.

Everything was too loud.

Izuku was quick to realize that it was his heavy breathing that was contributing to the noise and had to actively focus on calming himself down, wiping at the tears that had trickled down his cheeks.

Why? Why was life so unfair? Why did every time Izuku manage to find something to lighten up his life, that it got ruined? Why?

He could faintly hear his name being called, and for a moment, Izuku considered not going out to fight.

Why should he when he just learnt that the world is not what it seems?

The memory of how Todoroki had been looking at him - mismatched eyes cold despite the obvious plea for help hidden within - sunk its claws into him, and Izuku put on a brave face as he moved to the entrance of the tunnel.

( Everyhtingwastoobright-tooloud-toobusy-tooloud-toobright-! )

He clenched his fist for a short moment before moving down to the fighting area. The spectators cheered when he stopped in the area, facing Todoroki.

His classmate didn't even seem to be paying attention to him, too busy looking up into the crowd.

Izuku followed his classmate's gaze, and stilled when he was who the other was looking at.

He moved his eyes back to face Todoroki, clenching his fists for a moment as Midnight announced the countdown.

"Eyes on me, Todoroki-kun," Izuku warned carefully, letting a smile settle on his face as Midnight counted "two".

Todoroki raised an eyebrow.

Izuku knew he'd probably regret this, but he needed his classmate to focus on him, and only him, "You're not the only one with an arsehole for a father with a fire quirk."

"START!"