chapter 13: the bake off

chapter 13:
the bake off

It was finally here, the bake-off.

Laughter and joy filled the street fair, small stores, and food trucks serving food. There was a small stage that had baking utensils, tables, and all the ingredients a baker could ask for. Sanji gulped as he tightly gripped onto the box he was carrying.

"Oi Brat!" Zeff yelled, "C'mere! These pastries aren't going to sell themselves!"

They had a booth right in front of the stage, SMILE had a booth as well but it was a few booths down. Sanji set up all the pastries they were going to sell, he looked over and saw Zoro and Law setting up their booth.

Sanji blushed and looked away, he remembered how Zoro confessed to him. He slapped himself, he has to focus! Linlin said that Sanji and Zoro are going against each other with pastries, while Law and Luffy are going against each other with drinks.

"Sanji! I have the last box!" Luffy called and ran to him.

He still had a swollen eye, but he covered it with a large white band-aid. His bruises were all better though, but the eye is going to take a while. Luffy sighed and started to place the cupcakes, he glanced over at Law who had a gloomy expression.

"Remember to focus Luffy." Sanji looked over at him.

Luffy stuck out his tongue, "I am focused!"

"You have to beat Law if you want Baratie to win."

"Shouldn't you be worrying about yourself?"

Sanji laughed and sighed, today was going to be hard. He's going to go against fucking Zoro! He's going to lose his mind if he loses. The nerves in his stomach made him nauseous. Just by walking, he felt like he was going to hurl up his breakfast.

Zoro, Luffy, Law, and Sanji both started to walk up to the stage. Sanji and Luffy standing on the right of it, while Law and Zoro were on the left. The stage had two baking stations that have been set up. It had ovens, work counters, and utensils, practically every single baking supply there is.

Mayor Linlin walked to the center of the stage, she adjusted her microphone. Sanji took one last glance at Zoro before averting his attention to the mayor. While Law was gazing at Luffy, full of regret.

"Everyone please gather around as we welcome the Baratie and SMILE! Today they are going to have a bake-off!" She laughed with joy.

There was a whole mob in front of them, teenagers, adults, elderly, all of them were watching. Many kids in their school in fact. Most likely because of the big fight Law and Luffy had, everyone, is dying to see what happens next. Everybody thinks that Law and Luffy hate each other and are probably expecting some kind of fight on stage.

Sanji could tell Luffy is slightly nervous.

"Hey, you're going to do great out there." He smiled.

"Thanks," Luffy responded.

Linlin sat down at the stage behind them where all the other judges are. The judges were basically the mayor, principal, and some of Linlin's friends. This made Sanji's chest tighten even more. He's only ever baked in his kitchen, he never baked in front of a fucking crowd!

He glanced back up at Zoro, the green-haired man mouthed the words, "Good luck." It wasn't any words of intimidation though, it was actually genuine words. Sanji blushed and mouthed good luck as well.

Both of them then walked to their baking stations. Luffy and Law were waiting though at their side of the stage. They'll be competing next afterward. Sanji took one last deep breath, his hands trembling.