Chapter 8

Breakfast that morning was slow. Gally talked to me and asked if I'd spend the day with Thomas. I wanted to run. "please don't run for me today." I smiled at Newt, "I won't."
"Josie!"
I tuned around to see Thomas
"Hey green bean. today is gonna be busy so be ready." I smiled at him
"Sir yes sir" he laughed
I turned back around. Newt wasn't there. weird.

I headed out to the runner hut, and grabbed a runner pack. the essentials were inside, safety crap, water. I found Thomas, "ok green bean, today your gonna show me if you can run." he smiled. "put this on." he slid the pack on. "okay, your gonna run from that wall to the other." he nodded and got into ready position. "GO!" He ran, he's fast. it took him 56 seconds. "done!" Okay... let's test this kid. "lets race" I got into ready position, "ready. set. go!" We ran, I was in front of him, but he wasn't far behind. I touched the wall and pushed off and ran as fast as I could to the other wall. I finally reached it and my hand touched the wall and about 5 seconds later, so did Thomas's. "good job green bean!" He smiled and we laughed, both trying to catch our breath. "Thanks, you to." We walked back to the runners hut and packed away his runner pack. "I enjoy running." he smiled, "me to green bean. I like the thrill." he laughed, " me to." we walked out of the hut and noticed something odd. The doors were shutting. "The doors never shut this early." Thomas looked at the sun, "Ya it's only 11:00." I ran to the hall where Gally was sitting with Newt and Jake. "The doors are closing!" I yelled. All of the boys were running at the door. "oh no." Gally said before taking off toward the door, "Jake there were no runners right?!" I asked, I turned around to look at him. " no! No one I know of." Newt was standing beside me. "I'm glad you're here." he kissed my forehead. "me too." the doors shut with a slam.