Chapter one

"Josie!" You turned around, quite startled. "Oh, hey Gally." He smiles back at you, "How are you doing beautiful?" He asks, while picking you up and spinning around. "Uh, Gally." he placed you back down. "What? I can't tell the girl I like she's beautiful?" He smiled at me, his dark brown eyes stared into my blue eyes. "Yes you can, but I feel, it means different things to you then to me." His smile quickly changed, his head dropped and he played in the dirt with his shoe. I placed my hand on his chin and raised his head and smiled at him, "your making this hard." he said, smiling back at me. "See you at supper?" I asked him. "Yes!" He answered, smiling and placing his hand on my cheek, and walking away. You turned around and walked to the shack. You have been in the maze for 1 year, you can't remember anything about your life, only your name. The day you arrived to the maze, you were the only girl, you immediately made friends with Newt. He's been here for 3 years, you'd tell him anything. About a couple months after arriving to the maze, you had been assigned to be a runner. A runner, the fastest, bravest and strongest. You love it, you love the thrill of the unknown but also worried about not being able to return. The runners basically try to find a way out of the maze, in 4 years no one has found a way out. You open the door to the shack. You grab a basket and a glove. As you walk to the garden, where almost all the food supply comes from, you see the runners come in. "Hey Josie! To bad you couldn't run today!" Yelled Jake, the main runner. "Yea! Hopefully tomorrow!" He smiled back at you. you couldn't run today because the food supply is low. Every month, food, water, clothes and a new glader comes up in the "box", but the box hasn't come up in 3 months so we are fighting to survive by growing our own food. You place your basket down and start picking the beans. "Hey." your eyes meet Newts, "Hey, what's up?" You ask. "Nothing, you?" He's brown eyes glimmer in the sun light, though your just friends, you've always thought Newt is quite beautiful. "Nothing, wishing I was running." He looks down, "maybe it's for the best." he says, still not making eye contact. "what are you saying Newt?" You ask, confused on how he's feeling, "Nothing." he then makes eye contact and walks to the shack. Weird, Newts never like that. Suddenly the bell rings. Supper.