xli. 𝚏𝚕𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚒𝚝𝚢

Start from the beginning

Tony glanced at her. "Well?"

Evelyn watched Ultron leave the church as she approached the core. She scanned it before saying, "Magnets."

"What?"

"The Vibranium core has got a magnetic field, that's what's keeping the rock together," Friday amended.

"Why didn't you just say that, Evelyn?"

"Because I figured a genius like you could figure it out!"

"Clearly not!" Tony said before asking, "If it drops?"

"Right now the impact would kill thousands. Once it gets high enough: Global extinction," Friday answered.

Tony glanced at Evelyn. "Let's make sure all buildings are evacuated until I figure out a plan."

Evelyn nodded as he flew off. She ran, touching her ear to connect to the communication device. "Pietro? A lift?"

Evelyn continued to run just as a blur appeared out of nowhere and picked her up effortlessly. She watched the world around her slow down as he ran at horrid speeds. He smirked down at her. "Where to?"

"Anywhere with robots."

Pietro grinned as he let her go in an infested area with people about to be hurt by the robots. He disappeared, rushing through about five robots on his way out. Evelyn fixed her gun, shooting bullets through the robots surrounding the people.

"I got airborne, heading up to the bridge."

"Cap, you got incoming," Tony told him.

"Incoming already came in," Steve grunted. "Stark, you and Evelyn worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."

"Evelyn?" Tony asked. "I'm coming to you."

Evelyn nodded as if he could see her, seeing Clint and Wanda nearby. "Clint!" he looked at her to see the group of civilians she had gotten. "Keep 'em safe!"

Clint nodded. "Go!"

Evelyn rose her arms just as Tony flew by. He grabbed her, bringing her back to the church and the core. He dropped her less than gracefully, Evelyn having to barrel roll to lessen the injuries. When she was stable, she glared at his flying frame. "Really?"

"I'm sorry," Tony said sarcastically. "Thought you could land properly."

"I'm sensing some hidden feelings. Are you angry at me, Tony?" Evelyn asked cheekily as she crouched by the core to have Friday scan it again for a way to bring the city down. "I thought you'd be happy since I was on your side and all with Vision."

Tony groaned. "I'm still mad you've been gone for a year."

"How about we add this to the list of things to talk about at a later date?" Evelyn asked.

"That list is growing quickly," Steve butted in.

"Hey! No one asked you," Evelyn said with a smile on her lips. She heard Steve laugh.

Evelyn turned to Tony. "The anti-gravs are rigged to flip. Touch 'em, they'll go full reverse thrust," Evelyn told him with a frown.

"The city's not coming down slow," Friday finished.

"The spire's Vibranium. If I get Thor to hit it," Tony began but Evelyn shook her head.

"It'll crack, but that's not enough, the impact would still be devastating," Evelyn said with a sigh. She tried to open the panel on the side, but it was latched.

Tony's helmet flipped up to look her in the eye. "Maybe if we cap the other end, keep the atomic action doubling back."

"That could vaporize the city, and everyone on it," Friday said quickly.

Evelyn and Tony met each other's gaze worriedly as Steve spoke again. "The next wave's gonna hit any minute. What have you got, Stark?"

Tony frowned as he shut his helmet and flew off. Evelyn stayed by the core worried thoughts running through her head. "Well, nothing great," Tony told him. "Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear."

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Steve said back.

Evelyn sighed. "Steve, the impact radius is getting bigger every second."

"We're going to have to make a choice," Tony decided.

Natasha's voice filtered through, and Evelyn took a relieved breath to hear she was okay. "Cap, these people are going nowhere. If the Starks finds a way to blow this rock..."

"Not 'til everyone's safe," Steve countered.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there," Natasha tried to reason with him.

Steve was clear in his response. "I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it."

Evelyn managed to open the panel finally to see the controls of the Vibranium. She furrowed her brows as she tried to set the core up for the explosion. She ripped a wire to begin the process, knowing there would be no other way.

"I didn't say we should leave," Natasha said softly. "There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

Evelyn smirked as Fury's voice crackled into their communication devices. "Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It's about to get better." There was a pause. "Nice, right? I pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do."

Helicarrier. Evelyn was grateful for the man even more. They could get the people off of the rock before she would explode it.

"Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve said.

"Oooh! You kiss your mother with that mouth?"