Chapter 38

'One, two, three, four, five, six

'One, two, three, four, five, six...' Yunhee pressed her eye against the lens as she gazed at the misty dipper of stars in the night sky. 'Seven, eight, nine, ten- whoa! How many are there?'

Crouching a little lower, she adjusted the dial to correct the focus on her favourite celestial delight, Pleiades.

The naked eye only allowed her to view six of the Seven Sisters, but now - as she took advantage of Jin's Newtonian telescope - Yunhee could see at least sixteen amongst a triffid of milky constellations.

'This is wicked,' she squealed to herself, tweaking the knob some more. 'Absolutely wick-'

Precious...

Yunhee jerked from the lens, the contraption wobbling on the tripod when she caught it with her foot and stumbled backwards across the room. She honestly believed that her mind was finally free of the oppressive Mafia King after thirty-six hours of silence, but now...

Precious.

'No, no, no,' Yunhee whimpered, pleading for his ghostly presence to leave her be as she retreated with closed eyes.

It wasn't real. Taehyung wasn't here. Jimin was home and she was safe-

'Boo!'

Yunhee screamed bloody murder when a strong pair of arms enveloped her from behind. The pervading voice vanished in a heartbeat, but she was so on edge that she spun around, impulsively lifting her knee towards the intruder's crotch.

'Whoa, woman!' a familiar voice roared, catching her joint on reflex before it could make contact.

It was Jimin, his features brewing with agitation as he released her leg and snatched her shoulders. He looked ready to reproach her, but when Yunhee exhaled and slumped her forehead onto his chest, he hastily clasped her cheeks and lifted her face.

'What's the matter?'

Yunhee took a steady breath, soaking up the calming vibes that had demolished the malevolent aura of Kim Taehyung.

He was gone, but for how long?

'Yunhee?' Jimin pressed, his concerned eyes exploring hers for answers. His coffee-coloured irises provided a solace she longed to cling to, and she did, her nails clutching the material of his white shirt as she slowly came to her senses.

'It's...it's nothing,' she assured, nothing but a spell of post-traumatic stress. What else could it be? 'Don't sneak up on me like that, Jimin. You scared the shit out of me.'

'Sorry,' he said sheepishly, his face lined with worry as he thumbed her chin, 'I wasn't thinking. Are you sure you're okay? I'm here if you need to talk about...things.'

Jimin's mouth twisted repugnantly, his hands skating to the collar of her blouse. He was fighting an inner battle of his own, Yunhee knew, grappling with the concept of not being able to soothe away her intolerable nightmares over the last four weeks.