Colter: What Remains

Start from the beginning

"Mr.Pearson! you goddamn idiot!" Grimshaw shouted, Honey hopped up from her seat and bolted out the door, trudging as fast as she could through the thick snow to one of the unusable buildings.

"and they say I ain't too bright." John groaned, "Auntie H doesn't handle Sardines well... Uncle Sean usually eats them for her." Jack pointed out as he happily ate his stew. "Oh...well it's an easy enough thing to forget." Pearson said with a shrug. "it's your seventh time giving her something with them in it." Tilly said with a scowl. "Look when you're hungry you have to settle for whatever you get." Pearson said, "why, when I was in the navy we-"

"No old stories!" the girls yelled. Pearson quieted down and started to sulk "innit that the way, feed em and still don't get no respect." Pearson grumbled turning to leave.

Sadie looked to Charles "and they're always like this?" she asked a hint of amusement in her voice. "every day." Charles sighed. Sadie pushed her bowl to the side as she finished up her food, "I appreciate Honey taking the time to make sure I'm alright but, I rather she wouldn't. I don't want to be a burden."  Sadie said after a while of sitting quietly.

Charles side glanced, "I think she just sees a bit of herself in you and shares a bit of guilt." Charles muttered. "Guilt why? It was O'Driscolls who killed my husband...If I hadn't caused such a fuss maybe ...who was it? Micah wouldn't have knocked over the table and the fire would have never happened." Sadie said. Charles paused, he wasn't sure it was wise to tell Sadie about Honey's connection with the O'Driscolls. As small as it may have been, try explaining that to a new widow.

"Yeah well," Charles began carefully, "it's not uncommon to feel guilty for the actions of your fellows, is it? besides, Honey's home burned down too, leaving her with little choice but to come with us." Charles said. Sadie lifted her head a bit, "It did...how? who did it?" Sadie asked. Charles rubbed his injured hand trying to warm it from the cold. "heh, she was the one that burned it down. It's an interesting story. She's kinda funny with fire. when you get the chance maybe ask her about it." Charles said.

"jus' don't ask her about it while near an actual fire, Honey gets kinda itchy when talk of flames start," Karen warned as she came by the gather up the empty bowls.

"Hey if Honey ain't gonna eat her stew can I have it?" Uncle called out to Karen as she passed by. "well ain't you gonna wait to see if the boy wants it?" Karen asked scrunching up her nose. "I'm really full Aunt Karen, Uncle can have it," said Jack from his seat next to John. Karen sighed and passed Uncle the bowl "here, knock yourself out." She murmured.

Honey groaned as she left the ruined building and carefully wiped her mouth. "Pearson....pain in the backside." Honey sighed.  "now, now miss Tunstall I am sure Mr.Pearson means well." Called Swanson pipped in as he exited the bunk cabin, He walked up to Honey and gave her a pat on her shoulder. "he's actively trying to poison me." Honey muttered, "Hardly," He replied with a chuckle. 

Honey groaned and rubbed her aching stomach, she then carefully checked her wound and grimaced, "red..." she murmured. "Oh, my seems all that opened it back up a little. Come on let us have someone handle that." Swanson said as he and HOney returned to the cabins.

-------------------------------------------------

"You good Dutch?" Arthur asked cautiously as he rode alongside their Leader. He talked as if everything was fine, but there had been a change in the way a few of those who had witnessed firsthand the events of blackwater looked at him. Concern and wariness were shown in the eyes of the gang.  

"of course." Dutch said with his chest puffed, "I know you don't think much of my idea lately," he said, "but listen, this is the right move."

There it was that unwavering certainty of the Dutch charm, It was what they'd learned to put their faith in for years now. If Dutch was still sure of himself, Arthur wasn't going to be the one to doubt it, not now. "Okay," Arthur sighed, "I've got your back, you know that." He said giving Dutch a nod.