❥ 11| graduation

Start from the beginning

"Congratulations, Fatimah," the dean told me with a smile and I quickly responded with a thank you and a sweet smile of my own.

I went back to get seated, wondering if Logan had reverted back to his usual ways when Eve shook my shoulder. "Are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

"Hmm? Nothing." I pasted on the smile that showed my dimple and would make her see what she wanted. "Let's go."

My mother actually came forward to hug me and I was surprised to see tears glistening in her eyes. "Well done, Fatimah. I'm so proud of you." She sniffed, putting her chin on my shoulder. "Both my kids are graduates now; I couldn't be happier."

I awkwardly returned the hug, patting her back. But my eye caught on the figure that I was desperate to see, and I pulled away quickly with a gasp when he advanced towards me.

"Hey, Faithe." Logan grinned, taking in my cap and gown. "So proud of you, sunshine. Congrats."

"Uh, thank you," I stuttered when he pulled me into a loose hug.

He gave me a secret smile and lowered his lips to my ear, whispering, "I still have faith, sunshine. I'm not giving up just yet. It's not too late. Whether you're married or not."

I reeled back in shock, frowning up at him in question.

Dad cleared his throat, raising his eyebrows at my flustered state. "Right, well, graduation's over now."

Uh-huh. It was, but what the hell did Logan mean? He had faith?

"Are you ready, Faithe? Have you packed your bags yet?" Nafasat asked, furrowing her eyebrows at Logan's proximity towards me and I distinctly heard Zayaan scoff. 

"Yeah. I have. I just need to go home so I can pick up my bags, and I guess we're good to go."

She turned to look at Zayaan expectantly, and he looked at me and spoke rigidly. "Come on. I'll drop you off at home, and then take you to the airport."

Yeah, sound so eager, don't you?

But I just nodded in acceptance and turned to my brother. "You're coming, aren't you?"

"I still have some work to do for school. I'll see you in Iran in a week or so," he said apologetically. "I'm sorry, Faithe."

Aden was currently in his second year of getting his master's degree in criminology, three years older than me. It was his final year, and the amount of work he had was a huge, overwhelming pile that I had no idea how he got through. But my brother's work ethic was one of his best qualities that I admired and was so proud of.

"Alright, then." Reza drew everyone's attention as he explained his plan. "Faithe and Zayaan, you go to pick up Faithe's luggage; the three of us will head to the airport since our bags are already in our car; Azmal, Leila and Aden will follow to see us off."

We nodded, and I wondered if he purposefully didn't include Logan. Eve had already left to go back to our flat after saying goodbye to me since she was going over to stay with her aunt in Edinburgh for a little while, and needed to leave early to catch her train.

"See you in a month, Faithe." Hana came up to me, mussing up my hair, a grin pulling up at her lips. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Hana. But you better arrive at least a week early to my wedding," I reprimanded sharply, eliciting a laugh from her.

"I will, I will. After my school lets out for the summer, I'll be coming back here anyway."

The wedding was happening in London, since it would be unfair if it happened in either Turkey or Iran and since we were moving back home now that I was finished with school in Oxford and Aden would be too in a few weeks. This country was common ground, and relatives from both sides were coming here.