Chapter 35: Disunity

AN: Tissues or towels. It's recommended.

--------------------------------------------

The birds chirp and the sun shimmers. Within the garden of the favored and loved princess, Athanasia's residence had moved for extra space and eased the tension of the society pointing out her undeserved treatment. She now lives in a better place worthy for her, a bit too much in her opinion. She was fine with the small bedroom in the tower and now her current room is as big as the whole floor. In her mind, she thought it was too spacious.

"Princess, I beg of you. Stop giving me work"

"No"

Athanasia bluntly denies Helena's desperate request to quit without any hesitation and goes back to sipping her tea quietly while the lady sulks. After Athanasia got back from her date, Helena would expect the princess to be happy and reduce her workload out of joy, letting her relax and rest. However, the opposite effect happened and Athanasia increased her work without mercy. Harshly treating her and criticizing her work every minute even on minor things like her handwriting. Poor Helena had too much hope and in the end, she suffered. It's torture no matter what.

"... Your Highness, what would you like to do?" Helena asked, breaking the tranquil silence in the atmosphere as Athanasia lifts her chin and snaps back to reality.

"Hmmm, shall we take a walk around?" She suggested, indifferent from her mood and apathetic.

"Didn't we do that last time?" Helena wheezed, remembering their walk around her new garden. Too many steps to cover and witnessing all the maids secretly hanging out in the back to touch grass.

"You're right. Let's go back to work" Athanasia's expression darkens and grimaces which causes Helena to shudder and her trauma of working in office returns inside her brain. Helena would do anything not to go back in that haunting room again.

"On second thought, walking is necessary. Shall we go?" Her lips quiver and curve into an awkward smile in which Athanasia nonchalantly nods and gets up from her chair.

Holding umbrellas and exploring the wonder of her many rose gardens. Athanasia's mood is lifted and a smile is on her face out of the blue that relieves Helena as the lady distracts her emotion with a conversation. Speaking is her skill as the lady constantly talks without pausing in between and managing to keep her entertained. Athanasia expresses different reactions, mostly giggles and laughs as they enjoyed the day together.

It was supposed to progress well and nicely until Helena had to bring up the bomb.

"How are you and the warlock?"

"... Excuse me?" Athanasia furrowed her eyebrows and Helena staggered back in confusion. The couple are madly in love with each other and the whole empire already knows the relationship. The news of servants being tired of their imitancy is still spreading and Helena would miss those precious moments and cry about it. There were rumors that the two probably secretly married during the period of her disappearance.

Helena thought the princess would be delighted but also fluster cutely about her shameless relationship. Athanasia's face shows otherwise.

"Y-You know, your boyfriend? Like is there anything special happening or..." Helena got stuck in an awkward position as she stuttered over her words and Athanasia gawked with a stoned expression.

"Oh...." Athanasia exhaled deeply and lowered her gaze at the ground as her grip on the umbrella loosens.
"Princess?" Helena sweats frantically and examines her gloomy state, the princess's aura is dying and getting less bright each second.