Chapter 28: Unambiguous

Long after the party, a not-so-happy birthday for the second princess. She decided to reject any request from the Alpheus Household in fear of her worst nightmare coming true. The second princess couldn't go see her aunt and asked her to come due to the tea incident in which she confessed when caught. Upon her return, Athanasia gave her a lighter sentence. A very light one, a restraining order, and paying a fee. She didn't want to deal with a trial when a country was falling apart at that time.

Jennette didn't have anyone to go to except for Athanasia. Unfortunately, the very person she last wanted to see is the same person that works beside her.

"Make it up! You have to go to her and talk!" Helena announces and swings her arm back and forth, pestering the man that just wants to work.

"Princess, can you please excuse Lady Irain? Her presence is not needed during work"

"Sorry, Ezekiel. Helena is also a worker in my political affairs" Athanasia states and focuses on the documents on the desk, just writing and signing. Ignoring the troubling mood that swarms in the atmosphere and being gloomy. "Also I agree with Helena. What you did hurt Jennette deeply so I advise that you guys quickly make it up before it gets worse or else news will spread"

"I understand, Your Highness. I'll do it but she's been rejecting my request. So I believe it's best to leave her alone for now"

"What the-. No!" Helena retorts. "It'll only get worse like this! At least send her a letter! If you stop sending requests, she'll think that you don't care about her!"

Athanasia was startled and Ezekiel stunned by her advice. Helena seems to know a lot of things and doesn't stutter. She's deadly serious and the atmosphere is turning dark and cold again. They wonder why she's so determined in this situation and wants it fixed immediately.

"... Helena is right but giving her some space is also a good decision if Jennette doesn't want to talk at the moment" Athanasia informs and finishes her last paper. "Now stop talking and let's get back to work. Birthday is over"

Helena facepalms and Ezekiel nods in understanding, staying quiet and being forced to work again while the princess is around them. Helena remains frustrated by the event she had witnessed and glares at the coward. Screaming shame and disdaining him for that act. Out of all time, it had to be on her birthday, the age of marriage too.

Although it's over and Athanasia is no longer as persistent to help the two advance, Helena is still motivated and very driven to get involved. She pities the poor princess even more and despises the man. A player at this point but clueless of his actions, he's worse than her brother though she adores the flower boy since they're family and he had his own reasons. Helena wanted to understand him and give them space but how can she when she's also sort of at fault when she indirectly forced Ezekiel to compliment her constantly in order to keep her distracted.

At some point, they manage to finish their work and Helena grimly hands the documents over to the young lord to be examined. A process that Athanasia implemented and they followed along. Improvements were shown and drastic changes happened when Helena was beginning to show her potential. It still does not change anything.

"Your penmanship is very pleasant to look at. At least you have that going for you"

"Thank you but I'm disappointed that I'm not seeing even that much from you"

The temperature drops again and Athanasia stands up in between them while snatching the documents out of his hand and narrowing her eyes at Helena. Athanasia was beginning to get tired of this passive-aggressive behavior between the two and rubbed her forehead.