Year 5

King's Cross Station

I saw Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys. I went up to them and said "Hi!"
"Hey! Ev, how are you?" Hermione asked and pulled me into a hug. We boarded the train. Me, Harry, Hermione and Ron sat in the same compartment.
I asked Harry about the incident at Little Winging. He told me about the dementors and the hearing at the ministry.

A while later someone came with a note from Draco. Asking me to come to their compartment. I sent her off saying I'd meet them at the station. Everyone had been spreading lies about Harry. Calling him a lier, denying Voldemort was back. My friends needed me more than Draco I thought.

At the station. We got off.
I was walking with them when Draco and his friends came in pace with us and shouted, " Surprised the ministry is still letting you walk free Potter. Enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it!"
"Draco!" I shouted.
He didn't look at me and just continued walking.
"Just stay away from me!" Harry shouted.
"You need to put a lease on your boyfriend, Ev." Ron said. I glared at him.
"What was that about!" I murmured.
———

At the start of year dinner, the students got sorted as usual and then we were introduced to the new DADA teacher. She wore all pink, had a shrill, girly voice and basically told us that the ministry would be interfering with Hogwarts this year. I looked over at Draco. But he refused to look back.
Right after, Dumbledore announced the commencement of the feast and food appeared on the table. I stood up, went over to the Slytherin table. Pansy who was sitting next to Draco, got closer to him as she saw me approaching. Blaise on the other side, moved to give me space to sit.
"What's wrong Draco?" I asked.
"Why are you here now? Why don't you sit with that lier friend of yours!" He snarled.
"Is that why you're mad? Because I refused to come to your compartment on the train?"
"That lier Potter has been telling everyone that my father is a death eater!"
I didn't have an answer. He turned towards Pansy and started chatting as Pansy badmouthed Harry.

I stood up and went back to the Gryffindor table.
"Everything alright?" Fred asked.
"Guy's just mad Harry called his father a death eater."
"But he is." Harry said.
"Let's leave it at that, Harry." I said.
"Whoops." George said from the other side of the table. I followed his eyes and saw Pansy whispering into Draco's ears. Her arms around him.
Ron made gagging noises. I glared at him and he stopped instantly.
"Do you want a few puking pastilles to add to Pansy's pumpkin juice Ev?" Fred asked.
"I'll take the lot" I said. Everyone laughed.
———

I did not talk to Draco for the next few days. On our first DADA class, I walked in with Hermione. We sat together in front. I saw Draco glaring at me from 3 seats back, sitting next to him was Pansy with a smug look on her face.

Parvati made a paper bird and charmed it to fly. Everyone was enjoying it when it burned and turned to ash.

Umbridge came in and told us that we were to study theories and not practise magic until we had to demonstrate it on our OWLs. Hermione protested. And then Harry spoke up!
A heated argument broke out when finally Harry stood up.
"Because Voldemort is back!" He shouted!
"No he is not!
"Yes he is!" I shouted and stood up," How else do you think Cedric died if it was not Voldemort!"
"The boy's death was just a tragic accident" she said.
I stood up as I was about to say something...

"You must raise your hands if you have anything to say in my class" she said in her shrill voice. " Mr Potter , Miss Berkeley. Detention. For a week. I will see in my office at at 4 this evening. Does anyone have anything else to say?"
Everyone stayed quiet.
"Good" she chuckled and continued with the class.

———
In the evening, me and Harry went to Umbridge's office.
We knocked.
"Come in!" She said.
The room as exactly the same as it was when the other professors occupied it; only pinker and decorated with photos of cats everywhere.

"Take a seat" she said and pointed at the 2 desks placed infront of hers.
"You're going to be doing lines for me today" she chuckled.
We reached for our bags when she stopped us and said " no need for your quills. You're going to be using a rather special one of mine."
She stood up and placed her quill on our desks.
"There's no ink." Harry said
"You won't be needing it" She said and smiled
"How many times?" I asked
"As long as it takes for the message to 'sink in'"
We looked at each other.
" I want you to write- I must not tell lies"

We started scribbling on our parchment when I felt an itching, stinging sensation on the back of my hand. With the second line, the words 'I must not tell lies' appeared on the back of my hand. I looked over at Harry and saw his hand bleeding.

We forced ourselves through it without a noise, not giving Umbridge the pleasure of knowing our pain.

After about half an hour, she said, "that should be enough for today." She chuckled. "Same time tomorrow."

We got up, took our bag and walked out of her room. "Are you okay?" He said.
I nodded.
We decided not to tell the other teachers or our friends. We didn't want Umbridge to make a scene to enjoy herself.
———

Next day at potions, I had to sit with Draco again.
Pansy wouldn't leave his side until Snape glared at her. She stroked Draco'a hair one last time as she stood up and sneered at me.

I sat down next to him. We didn't talk until.
He jerked my hand towards him.
"What's that?" He asked.
I pulled my hand back.
"Did Umbridge do that to you?" He asked angrily.
"What are you gonna do about it if it was her?" I asked. He scoffed.

We didn't talk again after that for a while. I would occasionally see Pansy fawning and throwing herself at Draco every chance she got especially when I was around. This irritated me more than anything but I acted like I didn't care.
I went back to ignoring Draco like nothing had happened after the ball last year.

———