Lost In A Daydream

Comincia dall'inizio

Sleep evaded Marcus as he sat in the dark and silence amongst the rubble. This was not normal for Marcus, his confidence wavered and doubt tried to take a hold. He had to defeat this enemy within if he was going to be the savior in this great war. His eyes still open, but Marcus was lost in a daydream. Reflecting on his life, his childhood, everything he accomplished, all the good he brought to this world and nothing seemed like it was enough. Something was missing and he needed to find it to fill the void.

The other animals at Hareville were nervous about what tomorrow would bring. Many of them knew there was a very good chance that tomorrow was the last sunrise they would experience. Harold and Cassius were forced to come up with a backup plan if something was to happen to Marcus. As much as they wanted to believe that they would succeed, they needed another option if things went south. If they failed to defeat Captain Blackfoot than he would stop at nothing to take over the rest of the kingdom. At that point the only options for the animals would be to surrender and accept the torture and punishment he had to offer, or run and spend the rest of their lives looking over their shoulders. The best they could come up with was joining the vagabonds of the City of Darkness. At least Captain Blackfoot would more than likely avoid that place at all costs. It was nothing to look forward too, but it was something to fall back on.

Brian tried to sleep, but his adrenaline was running high and he could barely sit still. His strength physically and mentally would be tested tomorrow. He hoped he had what it took to save Beth and be one of the hero's of the kingdom. He sat along side a dimly burning fire as he inspected Marcus's sword that he still had in his possession. Taking a corner of his robe, he began to polish the incredible blade that had been made by the hands of a master. The flames danced off the glimmering metal as Brian followed the intricate designs that had been engraved into this sword. Images depicting the trees and mountains could be seen crafted artfully going from the handle down onto the blade. As Brian looked closer he began to notice that there were pictures of animals as well. He first saw what had to have been one of Marcus's ancestors, another gigantic warrior rabbit etched in with great detail. Next to it was a bird that looked magnificent and had an uncanny resemblance to Cassius. His eyes traveled further and at first he thought the fire was playing tricks on his eyes. The next thing on this sword looked an awful lot like a man. To Brian this was a sign. This could have been his destiny all along. Maybe God wasn't punishing him for what he did back on Earth, but in reality he was needed here to help Marcus. Searching for answers that were not meant to be found, Brian made up conclusions in his mind to reinforce his beliefs. Just like all human's, he needed purpose and a meaning to be alive.

Tiny, Peter and Lucius were exhausted from their adventure and had no problem passing right out to get some much needed rest for tomorrows ordeal. Razor and the other Skytrotters tried not to sleep, but sitting together around a fire, one by one they succumbed to it's temptation and fell into a deep slumber. The Wolfmongers continued on with their routine of keeping a distance from the rest of the animals. They patiently waited their leaders orders. Rather indifferent to the situation these wolves were motivated by the opportunity to much on these tasty rabbits after they helped them win. A pack of wolves would be a formidable opponent for even a human, and gave this group a huge advantage considering how outnumbered they were to the amount of weasel's and squirrel's they were up against. Borris did his best to eat as much food as possible to put himself into a coma. The village rabbits helped until he could no longer reach his paw up to his mouth. With the bear now sleeping, the village rabbits did the same as they made their way back to their rebuilt burrows.

At midnight an alarm went off in Marcus's mind. He did not sleep a wink, but time had passed without a conscious memory. War was on his mind and victory was his to claim. Crawling out through the rubble Marcus emerged to find Harold and Cassius waiting patiently. The moon was full and gave enough light to guide their journey to Oxbow. Marcus instructed Harold to wake everyone up and get them ready. Brian heard the commotion and walked over to Cassius and Marcus.

"Are you ready to show us what you can do with that sword?" Marcus asked Brian.

"I think I was born for this." Brian responded with a smile.

"What have you come up with Marcus? We can't just march in there and expect them to just give up. Captain Blackfoot has to be expecting us to retaliate." Cassius questioned Marcus.

"If we can stop Captain Blackfoot than we can avoid a war. The other animals at Oxbow will accept defeat if there leader is taken care of. Brian will make himself known first with the support of his Wolfmongers. Captain Blackfoot will send his soldiers after them and leave himself and Oxbow vulnerable. Cassius and the Skytrotters will be keeping an eye out from above. I will have the rest of the group waiting on the outskirts until Brian has done his part. If we do this quickly then maybe this can be done peacefully." Marcus explained with an air of confidence.

The blood hungry Marcus that was willing to do anything for vengeance had finally shown a sliver of that heart he was known for having. Brute force was sometimes necessary and needed, but a smart plan could be the deciding factor between victory and defeat.

Cassius looked over at his friend and said "just in time, glad to have you back".

Marcus was still in there, and his mind was stronger than whatever seed Lucius had planted. The animals all gathered around Marcus, his shadow cast out behind him dancing across the landscape. Holding the stage with a presence that gripped and motivated his audience. He spelled out his plan and gave instructions as needed. The animals were ready and they cheered as Marcus's speech inspired their souls. A whole kingdom had come together against all odds to try and bring peace to the lands. Looking out at his followers, Marcus could see his accomplishments regardless of the outcome of this war. He had done this, with the help of Brian and Harold, and this would be remembered for eternity. They would all march together to the outskirts of Oxbow to wait until sun rise.

In theory the plan really had a chance of working. Reality had something else to offer. Captain Blackfoot was no longer the leader of Oxbow. He was going to be attacking to regain control the same morning that Marcus was going to try and overthrow him and rescue Beth. A predicament was forming that would create an even further divide between the animal kingdom. Factors out of their control were at play and they were none the wiser.

The crudely thrown together army, now at Marcus's disposal, gathered their gear and prepared for the hours long trek towards Oxbow. They sleepily formed a sloppy line and began a rhythmic march under the moonlight. The night was eerily quiet as they left the gates of Oxbow and headed on what might be their last adventure.