Healing

"Hey, K bear" Pietro smiled leaning over Kaylin's shoulder "Watcha doing?"

     "Erik has me looking over some files" She replied "If these guys are going after mutants on other earth it's going to be hard to track them"

     "Dad still seems a little shaken up over that girl" he commented.

     "I overheard Hank talking about a daughter he lost," she said turning away from the computer.

     "Yeah Nina, he doesn't really like to talk about her" He sighed.

     "It must be very hard losing a kid so young" she frowned.

     "I think that's the scariest part of being a mutant knowing your children will always be hunted" He looked down.

On the other side of the Mansion
     "Oh, my poor Nina" Erik mumbled to himself. Every time he closed his eyes he saw her smiling. There was a soft knock on the door.

     "Hey, Dad can I come in?" It was Wanda.

     "Yeah," Erik answered. He often wondered if Nina would have grown up to be like Wanda. Fearless, strong, always seeing the good in people.

     "How are you feeling?" She asked sitting down on the bed next to him.

     "Fine" he lied sitting up. His eyes were red and puffy from sleepless nights.

     "I think it's best you take a little time off," She spoke gently as if he was a skittish puppy.

     "I'm fine all of my wounds are healed" he argued.

     "Some wounds you can't see" She replied softly. Erik felt a tug at his heart 'A father is supposed to comfort his children not the other way around'

     "I know" he let out a heavy sigh. He knew all too well about invisible scars. He had felt almost every kind of loss there was. The worst was the loss of a child, no matter how long it's been that pain always stays with you.

     "It's okay to talk about it" Wanda smiled at him softly "I've never had a kid but I do know what it's like to lose someone close to you"

     "Oh, my sweet daughter..." Erik looked at her lovingly. He wished he had been there for her to comfort her. But more than anything he wished that none of his children had to feel pain.

      "I was in a bad place after Pietro and Vision died" She confessed "Jack was the only reason I got through it, and the only way you can handle this is to lean on the people who love you," she said taking his hand.

     "How did you get so wise?" Erik smiled as tears ran down his face.

     "I guess I got it from my dad" She smiled back.