24. Extended Prison Sentence

Start from the beginning

"I brought you back here. I found you on the brink of death but the male vampire that attacked you is now dead." Torben informs me and at this moment his expression is completely unreadable but my eyes catch sight of his hands pulling into hard fists, "The female ran." Shit, he's angry but at who? He adds, "You're lucky you survived, considering you've been asleep for three days now."

Three days?

I feel like I should say thank you but then I remember why I escaped in the first place. He's working with Draven but so were the vampires so why would he rescue me from them?

A minute of silence passes us by and Torben breaks it by commenting, "You were so foolish to escape. How did you think you were going to survive on your own?"

"I weighed my options." I'm glaring back at him, thinking of how he was going to sell me out to Draven without a second thought. Draven warned me he had puppets and Torben is one of them. "My chances looked more promising out there than they did staying here where you were just going to give me away to Draven."

There it is.

The cats out of the bag now.

Torben leans back as if I had just slapped him, genuine surprise on his face, "Whatever made you think I was going to give you to Draven?"

"It doesn't matter. It's true, isn't it?" I accuse, my anger slipping into my tone. No way do I plan on telling him what I possess. If he finds out about my wolf or my powers, he'll help Draven take them from me.

Torben chuckles, but he isn't amused and the sound makes me wish I hadn't admitted what I know. "I was never going to give you up to Draven, I was trying to bargain for your powers and your wolf's physical form back," Torben is looking right at me when he admits this, my jaw dropping open in disbelief.

He's playing games with me again. He's a liar.

Torben drops his gaze to his hands, anger filling his tone when he adds," Draven is a stubborn fucker though. He'll never give them up without a fight."

"How do I know I can believe what You're saying?" I ask him, watching his eyes flicker back up to meet mine.

"Can't you feel her?" He's referring to my wolf. I just know he is but how would he know about that? Besides, what does she have to do with anything?

I try to play it off, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Asmara," The way he says my name causes me to inhale sharply, "I'm not in the mood to play this game with you." He runs both his hands through his hair, an exhausted sigh leaving his lips before his eyes are meeting mine, "The quicker you admit what I already know, the quicker we can move on with the conversation."

My expression reflects his. I guess I'm tired of playing these games too. "I feel her," I finally confess and Immediately feel like I need to explain, like it's something I should be guilty of. "But I don't how it's happened. I woke up and-"

"Shh..." I immediately stop talking when Torben wraps his fingers around my wrist, trying to calm me down by rubbing his thumb on the back of my hand. Warmth and sparks ignite at the contact. This feeling travels through my body, warming me from the inside out. My wolf grins, her emotions going haywire and then I realise...

I pull my hand back so quickly it causes Torben to furrow his brows.

"You're my mate?" The question leaves my lips in an accusing manner. Torben clearly expected the reaction, possible disappointment showing through his brown eyes. I can see his muscles tense, dread filling his body at the conversation to come.