''You worked for WCKED?'' Thomas asked, filling the silence.

Mary paused and nodded, humming. ''A long time ago.''

Zara looked at Jorge. He looked back, frowning, then looked at Thomas. Thomas looked from him to Zara and then they all looked back to Mary.

''You know, at first, we had the best intentions; find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune.'' She turned to Thomas. ''But why?''

It was a question, but it wasn't supposed to be answered. Before anyone could say anything, Mary continued. ''Eventually, we found an answer. And then zine produced by the brains of the immune, once separated from the bloodstream it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus.''

Zara and Thomas' eyes widened.

''So, you found a cure?'' Thomas asked, hopefully.

Zara's relief sank when Mary shook her head. ''Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young.'' She paused, opened something and poured a blue substance into the tube of a shot. ''Of course, that didn't stop WCKED. If they had their way, they'd sacrifice an entire generation.''

(TW: shots, needles)

''All...'' She held up the shot and looked at it in admiration. ''For this. A gift of biology of evolution.'' She paused and turned around, walking over to Brenda on the stretcher. The girl was groaning to herself in pain, fighting the virus. Mary squatted down, rolled up her trouser leg and gently brought the needle inside her skin. Jorge held Brenda's head with both hands, tenderly. Mary pushed down the top of the shot, you could see the blue serum leaving the clear tube, disappearing into Brenda's blood through the needle. Brenda hissed, tensed all her muscles, and as soon as Mary pulled out the needle, she relaxed.

Thomas watched, then glanced up to Mary. ''How long will that keep her?''

Mary gazed at Brenda, who was now sleeping. Her chest rose and fell calmly. ''It's different for everyone. A few months, maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it?'' She shook her head. ''She'll always need more.''

After a little while, Mary stood up and beckoned Jorge. ''C'mon. Go outside. She needs rest.''

Jorge got to his feet, sending a quick overwhelmed look to Zara and Thomas before following Mary out of the tent.

Zara couldn't believe it. That woman just made a cure. She just did what Janson and Ava couldn't do, even after trying for years.

Thomas came sit next to Zara. He planted his elbows on his knees and stared ahead. So did Zara. No words were exchanged.

Until Vince walked in the tent, carrying clothes.

''I got you two some warm clothes. Can't have you freezing.'' He said before handing it to them.

Zara got dark blue jeans with little rips on the knees and a warm dark-brown winter coat. Thomas got a greyish, dark-green jacket.

''You can get changed right there, just hang up that piece of cloth.'' Vince offered to Zara. She nodded and stood up.

''Thanks.''

--------------------------­­­­­-----------------------------­­­

The thick coat felt warm and comfortable, and the jeans were also much better than the cold-holding leggings she wore first. Zara put back on her black shoes, removed the cloths she'd hung up and walked back to Thomas. He was still sitting on the bench, now wearing his jacket. Mary was there too, standing in front of him.