27

A key thing to note about Hanako's parents was how they didn't attack her (physically or verbally) without reason. Most commonly, it was because she'd done something to upset their up-tight rules. She, of course, never went out of her way to break those rules, or to offend them in any way. 

But that never worked, did it now?

The main kicker for most of her  parents' actions were her grades. They weren't awful, ranging from 59s to 79s, but that wasn't good enough for them. And considering the grades never changed, her parents' attitude didn't either.

(Maybe her parents should've thought that it was them that way causing these bad grades)

But it wasn't always the grades, coming home late from being outside, making (accidental) snarky comments, not doing the washing up nor the chores she was set to their standards. Basic things, and yet the punishment wasn't exactly normal.

Hours of screaming and lectures from her father's end, the occasional gaslighting from her mother, all while Hanako did and said nothing. Because if a person's quiet, they're learning, right? At least that's how schools see it, so if she's quiet at home, maybe her parents will leave her alone.

It didn't work. But the smidge of hope was still there, she was cradling it like a small flame in the rain, everything was working to drown it out and kill it, but she covered it with her hand, protecting it. Though the rain got too hard, the weather too cold, and now that flame of hope was gone.

No more warmth and light.

********

Don't estimate the lure of darkness, even the purest of hearts are drawn to it, like a moth to a flame because darkness gave people hope. Hope that it would shade away their fears and worries. But it only makes it worse.

Her soul felt numb, and she's so desperate to feel. In the times of distress and sadness, mornings are no longer forgivable and waking up is no longer ideal. And whilst she thought she could distract herself from these melancholy thoughts by spending her time doing things that made her happy, it was simply impossible; it was a constant lingering thought.

And as she sat on the concrete floor outside of her apartment, not having moved since being pushed on the floor, that thought was all she could think of. All she could obsess over.

She moved from her seated position and knocked on her front door. Her voice was quiet when she spoke "Hey, let me in." She repeated these words until she even said please. Her voice grew quieter as the cold began to possess her body and force goose bumps to be visible almost all over her skin.

It was freezing, it was raining, hard at that. And she was outside in shorts and a T-shirt. She wasn't affected by the rain yet, the outside of her apartment building had a roof over the front doors. But that didn't mean that shivers wracked her body.

She decided that after however long of waiting, she should at least think of leaving, it was clear that her parents had no intention of letting her in, and the pain was beginning to become more and more evident as the minutes passed by.

She couldn't remember what happened, but she could register that she was hit with something. That something was a blunt object and she couldn't remember for the life her what it was, but she knew that her abdomen was hurting like hell right now, along with her cheek and oh-

Her nose was bleeding. That wasn't the only thing, her lip was busted, and the metallic taste of blood was in her mouth. Now that Hanako thought about it, what was the point of cleaning up all the blood, or even just trying to stop the nosebleed? There wasn't a point. The worst it would do is stain her shirt -which wouldn't bother her- and if she just kept her head bowed, she'd be fine.