16

Ever since her father was forced to leave, the house felt empty. Empty of shouts, screams, slams, and emotions. But for an odd reason, Hanako still felt the same. She was scared because she could not recall one time her mother had been nice to her since she developed her quirk. Sure, her mother healed her, but her mother's healing hurt due to the nature of it, and it's not like the woman did it out of love.

This led to why Hanako was actually scared. She was scared that her mother would turn into a person like her father. The three of them lived together for over a decade, and now it was just her and her mother; her father off in prison for attempted murder, not for what he did to Hanako. So no one knew, and would never likely ever know. But Hanako knew, she knew everything. 

And knowing everything that had happened only added for her paranoia of her mother turning on her. The eleven year old was scared out of her mind, and watched her mother like a hawk when she was in the house. Though what Hanako didn't know was how her mother was too watching her like a hawk.

It was around this time when Hanako was 11 that she spent more time outside than ever, wishing to throw away the memories of anything that had a relationship to both her parents. But she just couldn't because she loved them, she still does. They are her parents. And even if she knows she's supposed to hate them because of what he did and how she acts (and what her mother would come to do later on in Hanako's life) but she just could not bring herself to forget nor hate.

So suppress the thoughts, the feelings, the worries, the everything. If you don't think about them, they can't hurt you. And it actually worked, the girl became less tense and lived with ease when she wasn't home; which was a rather impressive improvement because even if people may not have noticed, she looked genuinely scared for a few days. But it was completely different when she was at home.

Years is what it took. Years to not feel absolutely petrified of being in her own home. Years to even trust being in the same room as her mother. Years to even talk to the woman. And it was only when Hanako was around thirteen maybe fourteen before Hanako could hold up a somewhat convincing smile towards her mother to tell the woman "It's fine, you can take the food. But could you leave some for me?"

It wasn't exactly effective though, no food was left.

But Hanako knew deep down that her mother wanted her there, if she didn't, why would the woman take her food? It was out of love. Is what Hanako thought.

It wasn't out of love, and it would never be.

Not that Hanako knew that, because her parents loved her, right? Like parents were supposed to?

They were barely her parents, the only thing connecting them being DNA rather than love and feelings. But she was blind to that. Always had been, and always would be. That is until 'always' becomes a few months to a few days and finally a few hours.

Because there's always more than the eye can see, correct?

********

Returning back to school from the internships was rather entertaining for one reason and one reason only, Bakugo had still been unable to force his hair back into it's normal spiky stature. 

"Holy crap! What the heck Bakugo!" Kirishima and Sero laughed, their mouths agape with laughter as they saw the boy's hair. Hanako breathed out a laugh too, watching the entire thing go down.

"Stop. Laughing. My hair's gotten used to this and I can't get it back the right way. Did you not hear me?! I'll kill you both!" Bakugo growled out, the boy practically vibrating from anger.