Chapter 21

The door opened suddenly and a servant stood there with three straw brooms in her hands. She stood there, saying not a word and Erec wondered that she was not more surprised to find three knights crammed into this small storage room.

"Beg pardon, good woman." Drew nodded. "We were just leaving."

Only Erec had made a move toward the dirk in his belt. Looking at his friend's back as they exited the room, he wondered that Drew was not surprised by the intrusion. His suspicions were set aside as they turned toward the great room and his thoughts went once more to Gwyndolyn. he really needed to speak with her.

Stepping through the archway into the great room, he cast his glance about. There were serving women aplenty, mayhap a wife or two, but he did not see Gwyndolyn. Disappointed, thinking her returned to her other duties, he turned his attention to the dais and stopped so suddenly that Gil bumped into his back.

"Beg pardon, milord." Gil mumbled, turning away in haste. Erec caught Drew's eye. The man grinned cheekily and winked before he turned away and disappeared into the crowd with Gil close behind.

He would speak with the meddling jackanape later. Erec was fairly certain that Drew, and not an unnamed servant, was the source of the Baron's information. As his attention returned to the dais and the lady sitting there gazing softly at him, a broad smile lit upon his face and all other concerns left him.

"Milord." Gwyndolyn greeted him with a warm smile as he took his place betwixt her and the baron. Leaning into him, she asked just loud enough for him to hear. "Is everything all right?"

"Aye."

It is now.

Smiling like the love-struck fool that he was, he took in her lady's gown and head piece. Suddenly very nervous, he reached for his goblet and drank it dry in one swallow. A servant refilled it at once. As he reached again for the goblet, her hand rested gently on his forearm.

"I am tired, milord." She said with a shyness that was out of character for her, "Will you walk with me to my door?"

"Aye, Milady." They stood and he followed her from the dais. Placing his hand upon the small of her back he leaned down and said in her ear: "I would follow thee to the ends of the earth."

A blush stained her cheek as she flicked her eyes up to his. He let his desire show and her blush deepened. He grinned broadly as he led her from the room, under the watchful gaze of those gathered. By morn it would be told everywhere that the Lord Erec was smitten with their lady healer. He looked down at her walking next to him and his heart thumped in his chest.

Mine! his conscience screamed.

He remembered the argument that his reputation as a fierce warrior would offer her protection. He wondered again if that would be enough to keep her safe when he left her. Recalling the last time that he left her, he growled and fisted the hand at his side.

Should he ever meet those three men again...

He realized belatedly that they were climbing stairs. A smile curled his lips as he recognized their way. The baron must have given her one of the other rooms in the same hall. But she stopped in front of his door and without missing a step, she opened it and entered. He followed, closing the door behind him.

"I have to tell you—"

"There is something that I—" he said at the same time.

"You first." She said, glancing at her hands, nervously torturing her kerchief.

"No, milady. You first." He waited feeling the tension in his shoulders build as she struggled to find the words. Erec just opened his mouth to inquire when she blurted: