12

"What is going on with you and Leo?" Ann asks as soon as Fiat arrives in the morning. Exams have just passed and just as Fiat wished, Leo has returned to his seat at the back of the class. Leo joining Ann in the morning also stopped and Ann is finding less and less opportunities to hang out with him. Ann met up with Leo at the party, but both missed the person who brought them together.

Fiat just takes the coffee and muffin from Ann's waiting hands and shrugs. "Nothing. What could possibly happen? Is it so weird that he's going his own thing?"

"Yes. Yes it is. Fiat, you guys looked like you were best friends or even in a relationship last week. For someone else I would have been jealous, but my inner fujoshi was being fed," Ann smiles dreamily before shaking her head and looking at Fiat squarely. "Anyway, now you guys act like you never hung out. It's as if these past couple of months did not even happen! Now tell me what happened!"

"Pip, I promise you there is nothing wrong. You can invite him over right now, during lunch or even when we go to the movies later. I honestly don't care. There's nothing going on between us. Now is your time to really approach him, Ann. Didn't you say you guys practically spent the entire party together?" Fiat sighs putting a hand onto the top of her head. He gives a reassuring smile and quickly averts his eyes back down to his muffin. Ann huffs and mentions that she will do just that. Fiat internally sighs and externally nods his head. Ann has begged Fiat to join her to watch some big time franchise movie that even Fern does not want to watch.

Ann does exactly as Fiat said. Leo appears at their table for lunch, separate from him even though they are coming from the same class. Ann raises a brow at this and Leo answers that he had to talk to the instructor before leaving. Ann scolds Fiat who just nods with her and accepts her reprimands. "Leo, come with us to a movie after my club meeting? It'll be like half an hour after the last class. You can wait with Fiat. Please?"

Leo smiles at Ann and gives her a confirming nod. She squeals while telling them how fun it will be to watch a movie with both of them. Fiat just smiles fondly at his best friend and humors her joy. Not once does he look Leo's way. When the moment comes, Fiat fills his bag quickly and is on his way to step out of the class when a he gets stopped by the elbow. He turns around to find a serious Leo. "Can we talk?"

"We have nothing to talk about, Leo," Fiat sighs looking down. He twists his arm out of his hold and exits the room knowing very well that Leo is hot on his trail. "Just be good to Ann-"

"If I accept her feelings it would cause her more pain than anything." Leo's words make Fiat halt and face him furiously at the thought of him hurting Ann. Leo looks around and grabs Fiat's hand and drags him towards an empty classroom. As soon as they enter, Leo releases his hand and paces across the front of the classroom, while Fiat stands by the closed door feeling the coldness of his hand. "I'm not going to force something I don't see working. I'll be her friend and be someone she can hang out with, but I will not be able to have her wait for me to return the same feelings because I have them for someone else. I know it is your wish, but screw it! I tried. For a week now. Maybe not the part of trying it with Ann, but I let you be. I stopped myself from approaching you, but I can't just pretend that we did not spend hours upon days together as we get to learn more about each other. Fiat, for crying out loud, I am not going to lose the opportunity of having to confess my feelings because you are afraid. I respect you and your feelings, but respect mine too. Ever since I told you my feelings you never outright rejected me. You never told me you do not have any feelings for me. If you tell me you have no feelings or a chance of feelings I will step back, but if you just push me away and try and create these barriers, I will work hard to show you how sincere I am and that you can put your trust in me that I will not turn my back on you or force anything you do not want to do. We can take it slow, just don't prevent something just because you are scared. Please, Fiat. Don't push me away."