CHAPTER 11

The pair swerved between the shrubbery darting as fast and silently as they could. Robin still held Constance's hand tightly as he pulled her along at his pace nearly causing her to go face-first into the grass. Nevertheless, they made it to the treeline.

Robin quickly darted behind a thick oak trunk making sure that the girl who barely kept up was covered first. Her back met the twisted oak as she quietly heaved for breath, clearly not used to the exertion. Constance watched how Robin gazed intently at the gardens as he towered over her smaller frame. She felt her cheeks redden but she was sure it was from the running that she had just been forced to partake in.

"I think we are all clear." She saw his mouth move but she did not hear a word of it. "Constance?" he said her name to check if she was alright. He saw her eyes widen from her realisation knowing that she had been caught in some sort of trance. Constance cleared her throat awkwardly. "Getting lost in my eyes Princess?" he mocked as he fluttered his eyelashes at her. She harshly pushed him away as he was still towering over her and far too close for her comfort. "In your dreams." She simply stated.

"Aw don't be like that, you know I enjoy your attention." She folded her arms in her iconic way and raised her eyebrow. "I'm sure you do, you do seem to lack experience with females though. You should be more... gentlemanly." He quietly laughed to himself at the thought. Him a gentleman? "No can do sweetheart, I'm not one of your townies. What you see is what you get. And besides, I don't need female experience when I've got you." Her mouth dropped as he winked sarcastically before taking her hand again.

"You do realise I can walk by myself? And I don't appreciate your...teasing." He gave her a plain look. "I wouldn't want you to fall and hurt your delicate skin on the sharp grass or heaven forbid you get pricked by a stick."

"How far is this place anyway? What if my Uncle already knows? Maybe we should just turn back now?" She tried to pull away but he was stronger. "If he already knows why not enjoy the rest of your freedom? And anyway, didn't you tell me he stays in his study all night. Wrolf will be outside and your sister and governess will be sound asleep snoring to their hearts content. It's about a ten-minute walk at my pace, at yours maybe ten years."

"You seem to have us all figured out Robin. And my pace is just fine thank you very much, besides it's hard to walk in heels when the ground is wet, not that you would understand." His posture straightened as he stood proudly. "You're an easy bunch to spy on. And don't you own a pair of boots?" She shook her head in disapproval. "How would you feel if I secretly watched you? And yes, I do actually, but they are heeled like all my other shoes." Again, he chuckled. "Constance, you wouldn't be able to stay still or quiet enough to spy on me. Plus, you're taking far too long and it's only going to get more difficult to walk." He spun around opening his arms. "Um no. Absolutely not happening."

"Oh come on Princess, you know you can trust me now. I won't drop you." She shook her head. "That is not my concern." He tilted his head from curiosity "then what is?" Her left hand brushed through her hair as she let out a sigh. "I don't want- I don't want to be held by you." Again, the young boy saw his opportunity. "You've never been close to a man before have you?" he chuckled but that soon stopped when she scoffed. "I'd hardly call you a man."

"I promise it will be easier Constance." Again, he extended his arms and she genuinely was conflicted. "Fine." She muttered as she caved in. She walked towards him timidly. Her left arm lifted and she gently hooked it around his neck and for the first time she really saw Robin smile. An actual smile, no sarcasm or pride just him. Robin lifted her up as if she was a feather and the feeling caused Constance to firmly grasp hold of his leather jacket.

"You're going to want to have those shoes cleaned when you get back." He said as he eyed the once clean heels which were now caked in mud. "I think you might be right."