Chapter 5

Having spent half of my lifetime at Teignmouth's sandy beaches, looking at marvellous sunsets and sunrises, I'm used to compare my hometown with an old book. You always remember it and every time you come back from a holiday, you're glad to enter this idyllic world of miniaturistic buildings.

Lost in thoughts I am looking out of the window, admiring the beautiful view that is presenting itself on our journey to our new home somewhere at Wellington's South-East coast. When considering moving to New Zealand, I first had to think of all the things I'd leave behind. My cosy room with the starry ceiling. The forest behind our house in which my brother and I used to spend a vast amount of days. My secret hide-out at the cliffs where I could sit down on the grass and forget about my sorrows. But then I thought about everything I would not miss and to be honest, I guess, it was the right choice to move out. Teignmouth may be a quiet village, but it's not the place I'd like to spend the rest of my life. Especially not after all the things that I have experienced.

Suddenly, Dad stops the car in front of a country house with a huge garden and Mum sighs in awe. We all get out of the cabrio that my father has bought a few weeks ago. As Dad had to take care of the company and the house, he has moved to Wellington a month earlier than the rest of our family.

"Welcome home, darlings!" While Mum and Dad start talking about planting roses and herbs like thyme rosemary or basil in the garden, James and I have a closer look at our surroundings. Like the rest of the buildings in this street, our house is situated right next to the beach. I can hear the waves breaking by the seashore and smell the salty, alto-familiar air. Now I understand why my parents chose to settle down here – this place reminds me a lot of my hometown.

"Not bad, eigh?" James steps next to me to risk a glance at our neighbours' garden. The flesh-coloured front with the wide windows that are being framed by white painted rectangles make the plot look like it has been created by a fairy. I wouldn't be surprised if this was someone's grandparents' residence.

I have to smile at the thought of it. "It resembles Teignmouth a lot."

We hear our parents calling our names and step into the house. The hall leads to an open kitchen with cherry wood motives. The living and dining room is to the left. Towards the front door, there is a long spiral staircase leading up to the first floor.

Just as though my brother has had the same thought he looks at me with a mischievous gaze and we both run upstairs without paying attention to the boxes scattered around on the floor. Having reached my destination, I fling open the first door that comes my way and perceive a light-flooded room including a balcony with a view on the beach. "Wow..."

Carefully I push the sliding door away and step onto the balcony. The never-silent sea is extending under the setting sun. James' amazed shouts out of the adjoining room drown in the ocean's sounds. Idon't know how long I'm standing there with my eyes fixed on the spectacular mix of all colours from orange to violet, but I hardly notice my father patting me on my shoulder and saying that I can have this room. I would have probably spent the whole night there if my stomach hadn't drawn my attention to itself. I'm starving.

To my delight, Mum has prepared my favourite salad including sheep cheese. I generally have a weakness for melted cheese, but to be honest, I prefer softer tastes more.

While dining, Mum announces that the grand piano will arrive tomorrow together with all the other furniture that my parents have decided to take with us. As Mum and Dad are sure they won't return to Devon and neither James nor I are planning to study in Teignmouth, our house has been left for sale. My chest hurts a bit because I feel guilty of leaving my birthplace behind. But isn't this exactly what I wanted? A change to forget about... him?

"Will you play something for us, Allie?", my mother inquires suddenly.

I grin. "Only if Jimeny joins me."

My brother gives me a cheeky smile: "With pleasure."

"But don't think I'll make it that easy for you to follow", I add, knowing he got the hint. He only pokes his tongue out at me and we all burst out laughing.