Chapter 2 - The Beginning of the Beginning

----- Edited Version -----

___________________________________________________________________________

The sudden vibration escaping from under my pillow awoke me from my slumber. While letting out a small groan, I perched up against the headrest of my bed and pressed the hard, green button on my cell phone.

                "Hello?" I asked questioningly, my lethargic voice apparent. Who would call me this early in the morning?

                "Jess, where the hell have you been? I can’t believe that I had to get your number from your sister. Why haven't you contacted anyone, especially me, your best friend? You’ve been so lost all summer!" 

                “Oh, Chadd,” I chuckled, “I’m so sorry! I’ve just been embracing my independence, I guess you could say. Honestly, I just needed a break from everyone, but nothing to worry about, I promise.”

                "Oh come on, Jess, you could have told me that. You trust me enough, don't you? And besides, it’s pointless to isolate yourself," Chadd grumbled.

                "Of course I trust you, Chadd! But see, you’re such a ladies’ man and it’s not exactly the best idea for me to hang out with you. You are bound to attract drama," I joked.

                "Wow, low blow! Just because I have girl problems doesn’t mean that—”

                “You get so defensive,” I snickered, “It’s hilarious, Chadd.” Chadd’s exaggerated reactions were always so priceless, so obviously, I loved  to push his buttons. We had that love-hate relationship kind of thing.

                “Whatever, I'll get you back for this later. Anyways, do you need a ride to school? I have so much to tell you,” he hurriedly remarked, his voice pitching in a feminine way, “Wow...I sound like such a girl." 

                My chuckles turned into hysterical laughter. “That’s no surprise,” I sarcastically replied, “But I'll check with my parents, I don't even know who's awake! I’ll call you in a bit okay? I have to get ready for school." I furrowed my eyebrows apprehensively. I wasn’t ready for school, not at all.

                “Alright!”

                After bidding him goodbye, I hopped off my bed. While tucking a lock of my chestnut hair behind my ear, I wandered into my bathroom, my feet touching the cold, tile floor. I flickered on the light and opened my cabinet, grabbing my toothbrush before shutting it again. Within the next few minutes I was fully dressed with my backpack clung to my shoulder.

                I stumbled down the stairs, simultaneously checking the time on my cell phone. “Six fifty,” I mumbled to myself, “Perfect!”

                "Apparently, I'm supposed to be dropping you off today."

                My head shot up as I stepped into the kitchen, my eyes meeting my sister’s. She rose from her seat at the dining table, her bright pink dress swishing in the air as her golden curls bounced.  Her green eyes fluttered as she passed me a skeptical look. Ivy got her elegant hair color and gorgeous emerald eyes from my mother. And to be frank, she’s stunning. That’s why she nailed the modeling job easily, setting herself up for the rest of her beautiful life. She was perfect at everything… everything but being a good sister. We never get along.

                The problem is that we’re too different from each other. Ivy’s the passionate one, who cares too much about how others see her. I’m the quiet one, the one people don’t know much about. She was intense and well, I was just simple. A contrary to her sophisticated and beautiful look, an old swim t-shirt and washed jeans were good enough for me and my straight, boring chestnut hair and plain, dark brown eyes. Those were some of the many things I inherited from my father, hence why I was so much closer to him than I was to my mother.